The Clinton School Board toured the new fitness addition at Clinton High School and discussed project change orders at the regular meeting Monday.
Construction of the addition began last year and is coming along well according to Sam Harding, vice president of Iowa School Construction Administration Services, LLC, the company managing the addition project.
“It’s coming along pretty good,” Harding said of the project, indicating that the weight room would be moved July 25 and the varsity men’s locker room is scheduled to be finished Aug. 5.
Prior to the meeting, board members toured the construction site and viewed areas included in the presented change orders.
At the meeting, Harding briefed the board on three groups of change order requests present on the agenda. Many of the change orders were suggested by the contractors and were recommended by ISCAS. Among the changes are push-button shower valves for the locker rooms, which will be used in place of standard handles that can be broken, indicated Harding.
The new shower valves feature a timer which shuts the shower off after three minutes, ensuring that it will not be left running for hours or days, Harding stated. He added that interior mixing valves will regulate the water temperature automatically so that it comes out at about 110 degrees.
The board voted to approve all the change orders, some of which will save the district money while others add to the cost.
The approved change orders that will save the district money included the following:
• Phase I changes included block walls at locker rooms, $4,912.24; sidewalk at west side of Yourd Gym, $4,125.71.
• Phase II changes included pad mount transformer, $28,850; aluminum primary feed wire, $20,800; emergency ballast lumen change, $4,400.
The approved change orders that will be deducted from the contingency fund included the following:
• Phase I changes included conduit run to new emergency generator, $2,619.99; storm line extension, $3,304.32; shower valve revisions, $11,238.15; additional parking area, $1,412.91.
• Phase II changes included roof drain line modification, $12,412.22; existing floor drains at boys athletic locker room, $2,642.76; shower seat and valve revisions, $10,984.44; chase wall at locker restroom $1,517.40; sidewalk at west side of Yourd Gym, $4,125.71.
Also during the meeting, the board accepted a contract bid from BWC Excavating for dirt work at the new middle school site. The bid was the lowest received at $138,861.17.
Board secretary Jan Culbertson told board members that it would take 3,500 truck loads to move all the dirt to the site. She stated that the district was “fortunate to get such a nice bid from a reputable company.”
Additional items approved at the board meeting included the following:
• Continuation of consulting services with Perspective Consulting Partners, LLC, as outlined in the Consulting Services Fee Acknowledgement. Perspective Consulting Partners has been advising the district on matters regarding health, dental, life, disability, vision and flexible spending plans. They meet periodically with a committee representing all employees in the district and review the district experience in various insurance policies. They also negotiate new contracts each year with the vendors.
• Agreement with the Service Employees International Union, Local 199 bus drivers. A tentative agreement has been reached with the SEIU Transportation Department for the 2011-2012 school year. The agreement has been ratified by the Service Employees International Union, Local 199 bus drivers.
• Acceptance of donations from Winkel, Parker and Foster, CPA PC, to Clinton High School for FBLA in the amount of $100 and from Clinton National Bank in the amount of $100 for new teacher activities.