CAMANCHE — The Camanche Fire Department was dispatched to 1431 S. Washington Blvd. in Camanche on Monday afternoon for a natural gas line that was struck by a backhoe.

The call came in at 3:21 p.m. Monday. According to Camanche Fire Chief Dave Schutte, crews arrived on scene to find a contractor had struck a gas line while digging. Alliant Energy was notified. The area was evacuated, including eight homes and a church, traffic was shut down and the surrounding area was isolated. Alliant Energy personnel were able to stop the leak in about one hour. Command was terminated and the scene was turned over to Alliant Energy.

The property is owned by Ed Bousman. There were no injuries.

The Camanche Fire Department responded with two engine companies, one ambulance, one pickup and 14 personnel.

The fire department was on scene for about one hour and 15 minutes.