CLINTON — An early Sunday morning fire at Brentwood Bluff apartments on First Avenue left dozens of residents standing in the rain for hours just hoping everyone would make it out all right.

In the end, they learned a child died in the fire that broke out early Sunday in apartment 12. The child was identified as Corrtrail Louis, 3 months old, according to Clinton County Medical Examiner Dr. Paul Koob. Corrtrail is the son of Pam Lovette.

Koob said the cause of death appears to be smoke inhalation, but an autopsy is scheduled for this morning.

The fire call came at 12:52 a.m. Sunday with Clinton firefighters arriving at 12:58. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy fire coming from the windows and front door of the second-floor apartment 12.

Fire had extended into the attic above the two adjoining apartments on the second floor. A bystander reported to fire officials that one person was trapped in the building. Firefighters were directed to a second-story window that led to where the occupant was thought to be.

After entering the apartment, firefighters performed a search of the room and located one occupant. Other fire crews advanced hose lines to extinguish the fire in the burning apartment and the adjoining apartment. A trench cut was made in the roof to prevent further fire extension in the attic. The attic was approximately 200 feet long and did not have any horizontal separation.

The fire was brought under control about 1:50 a.m. Approximately 5,000 gallons of water were used to extinguish the blaze. Gas and electrical services were cut to the structure. Fire crews remained on the scene checking for hot spots. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The structure sustained $100,000 damage and the contents were estimated at approximately $25,000.

The apartment complex is owned by Cecil Engles, of Fort Smith, Ark., and was not insured. It is unknown if any of the occupants had renter’s insurance.

Residents of all 20 apartment units were evacuated. American Red Cross Disaster Services Response Team volunteers took the occupants to Washington Middle School and they later were brought to a local hotel.

The Clinton Fire Department initially responded with one ladder, two engines and one ambulance staffed by 11 firefighters. Upon arrival on the scene, a second alarm was requested and 10 additional firefighters, Fire Marshal Mike Brown and Fire Chief Mark Regenwether were dispatched to the scene.

In addition, the Fulton (Ill.) Fire Department responded with one engine and one ambulance staffed by eight firefighters to cover Central Fire Station.

This article has information that has been updated from the story that ran in today's Clinton Herald printed edition.