DAVENPORT — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Davenport, which has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, will cut its budget to save money and is seeking donations to help pay for the installation ceremony of its new bishop.

Spokesman David Montgomery said Tuesday that the diocese is looking for ways to cut 7.6 percent, or $276,000, from its $3.6 million budget.

Some options include cutting down on travel expenses and conferences, while some of the diocese’s employees have offered to reduce their salaries, he said.

“We’re trying to not cut services to parishes,” Montgomery said.

Parishes will also take up second collections during Masses on two weekends this month to help pay for the installation ceremony for the new bishop.

The cost of the ceremony is not known, he said.

Bishop Martin Amos of the Cleveland Diocese succeeds Bishop William Franklin. The invitation-only installation ceremony is Nov. 20 at St. John Vianney Church in Bettendorf.

The budget cuts and donation request were announced in the diocese newspaper, The Catholic Messenger, last week.

David Clohessy of St. Louis, national director for the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, called the actions a “public relations ploy by a bishop desperate to keep sex abuse covered up and to position himself as allegedly being financially troubled.”

The diocese, which covers 22 counties in southeast Iowa, is the fourth in the nation to seek financial protection to deal with priest sex abuse cases. Since 2004, the diocese has paid more than $10.5 million to resolve dozens of claims filed against priests, including a $9 million settlement reached with 37 victims in fall 2004.

The other dioceses that have filed for bankruptcy are in Portland, Ore., Spokane, Wash., and Tucson, Ariz.

This Week's Circulars