CLINTON — Firefighters believe a child playing with a stove led to a fire that damaged a Clinton apartment building Saturday.

According to a fire report, Clinton firefighters were dispatched shortly after noon to the 18-unit building at 906 Fifth Ave. South, where they found heavy dark smoke coming from the kitchen of a third-floor apartment rented by Clara Williams.

No injuries were reported; several other apartments sustained smoke and water damage. Residents were relocated with the assistance of the Gateway Area Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Firefighters were at the scene for 21/2 hours.

The apartment building is owned by Colonial Apartments and is fully insured.

Firefighters report they do not know if the residents have rental insurance.

This Week's Circulars