CLINTON — A Clinton man will be sentenced Tuesday after being convicted last month of two counts of first-degree murder.

Maurice Walker Sr. is to be sentenced at 3 p.m. in Clinton County District Court.

Walker, 53, was convicted May 16 by a Scott County jury, which agreed Walker fatally shot his ex-wife, Renee Walker, 39, and her live-in boyfriend, Steven Kersey, 32, on April 12, 2005.

Walker was tried in Scott County after a judge ruled Walker could not get a fair trial in Clinton County because of pretrial publicity.

He faces a mandatory life prison sentence on each count when sentenced.

The prosecution team, which also included James Kivi of the Iowa Attorney General’s Office, said evidence showed the two were shot with a Hi-Point .380-caliber semi-automatic pistol, the couple each had been shot at least once with a bullet fired from the same gun, that the gun had jammed and a bent fork at the scene was used as an implement to unclog it, that a spent casing found at Walker’s former home at 220 Fourth Ave. South matched six spent casings found at the murder scene and that the casings had been fired from the same gun.

A murder weapon was not found; however, Walker admitted he owned a Hi-Point .380. He said he transferred it to his ex-wife’s ownership in February 2005.

Prosecutors said the motive could have been money, since Maurice Walker carried a $1 million life insurance policy on his ex-wife, from whom he’d been divorced a year at the time of the killings, and also because he did not like Kersey and did not want him around Renee or their nine children.

To prove their point, investigators said a dark ski mask found at the murder scene in a silverware drawer linked Maurice Walker to the crime. It was found face down in the drawer and contained spots of Renee Walker’s blood and Maurice Walker’s DNA. A spot near the mouth of the mask had a mixture of Maurice Walker and Renee Walker’s DNA. While the defense said the hat could have been Renee’s, prosecutors said the hat was Maurice’s and suggested the possibility that Maurice Walker kissed Renee or she spit on him at the scene.

Investigators based their case on the belief Walker was not in Chicago at the time of the slayings as he claims, but instead had driven through Chicago to Tinley Park, Ill., several hours before the deaths, checked in to the Sleep Inn Motel, drove back to Clinton to commit the killings sometime after 10:30 p.m. April 12, 2005, and then drove back to the hotel in Tinley Park, arriving there in the early morning hours of April 13.

He returned to Clinton on April 14 by bus, telling some his van had broken down and others that it had burned in Chicago. The van was found burned at 2:30 a.m. April 14 in Chicago.

He told investigators later that day his van had broken down and he was to pick it up the next weekend.

Walker’s alibi is that he went to Chicago on April 12 to get his passport renewed, tried to visit his ex-in-laws in Chicago who were not home, drove to Tinley Park at 5 p.m. and then came back into Chicago to do some sightseeing that night. He said he was back in the hotel room between midnight and 12:30 a.m. and asleep at 2 a.m. April 13.

However, the hotel surveillance tape showed him checking in at 4:12 p.m. April 12, his van leaving the hotel parking lot at 4:50 p.m. that day and shows him coming back through the hotel lobby at 2:30 a.m. April 13.

Police also say a cell phone record indicates Maurice Walker was driving toward the Clinton area around 7:30 p.m. April 12. Clinton County Attorney Mike Wolf said a call at 5:01 p.m. April 12 and another at 5:05 p.m. April 12 show he was moving west along Interstate 80 from Chicago to Clinton at the time and that the time frame is consistent with the 21/2 hours it would take to travel from Chicago to Clinton.

Defense attorney Christine Dalton said there was no evidence that put Maurice Walker at the scene of the crime on April 12, 2005. She said he was in Chicago sightseeing and lost track of the time. She also said cell phone records could be misinterpreted based on how calls are transferred between towers.

Jurors were instructed that to find Maurice Walker guilty of first-degree murder, they had to unanimously agree Renee Walker and Steven Kersey were shot April 12, 2005; that they died as the result of being shot; that Maurice Walker acted with malice; and that he either acted willfully, deliberately with premeditation and specific intent to kill, or that he committed the murders while carrying out a felony, in this case, burglary.

This Week's Circulars