The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

September 5, 2012

Camanche apartment damaged by fire


Herald Staff Report

CAMANCHE — No one was harmed, but significant damage was caused by a fire that occurred Tuesday at Indian Village.

Around noon the Camanche Fire Department was dispatched to Indian Village Apartments at 1215 Seventh Ave. The incident occurred at unit number 1001.

Camanche officials arrived on scene to find the one-story 10-unit apartment building with light smoke coming from the side wall area.

The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes using 100 gallons of water and F-500 wetting agent.

The cause of the fire was accidental in nature and appears to have started from an electrical short in the wall, according to the fire department.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the structure and $1,000 to the contents. No injuries were reported. There were operating smoke detectors in the residence. The fire department was on scene for about one hour.  

Camanche Fire responded with two engine companies, one ambulance, one command vehicle and 10 personnel. 

The Clinton Fire Department provided mutual aid with a ladder truck and four personnel. The Camanche Police Department and Mid American Energy also assisted at the scene.