The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

March 25, 2014

Unattended food causes fire

Herald Staff Report
The Clinton Herald

---- — CLINTON — A Friday night apartment fire that injured two people and displaced four families was caused by unattended food on a stove.

The Clinton Fire Department responded at 7:44 p.m. Friday to an apartment fire at 203 S. Second St. The Camanche Fire Department responded for automatic mutual aid, but it was cancelled en route.

Crews arriving at the scene found smoke showing from a first-floor apartment of the two-story building, according to a press release. Each floor has multiple apartments.

Firefighters controlled the fire within four minutes after arriving at the scene.

Two people were injured in the fire and treated by personnel at the scene. One of them was transported to the hospital.

Battalion Chief Joel Atkinson estimated the damage to the apartment and its contents at $65,000. He did not know if it was insured.

The Clinton Fire Department was also assisted by Clinton County Emergency Management and Alliant Energy.