The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

August 10, 2013

Man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning while camping at festival


CNHI News Service

CUMBERLAND, Md. — A 75-year-old Pennsylvania man died as a result of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning while camping at fairgrounds in Maryland, and his wife was taken to the hospital for treatment, authorities said.

The couple, from Somerset County, Pa., were staying at the fairgrounds Alleghany County Fairgrounds for an annual festival of Vegas-style gambling set to begin Friday.

William E. Miller and Ruth L. Miller, 76, went to sleep in their recreational vehicle on Wednesday night, with a gas generator several feet away from the rear of the vehicle, police said. The generator's exhaust was pointed toward the vehicle and fumes entered, causing the couple to have exposure to carbon monoxide.

On Thursday morning, a passerby entered the vehicle and discovered the couple.

William Miller was pronounced dead at the scene. His wife was taken to a nearby hospital and was reportedly in critical condition.

An autopsy on William Miller will be performed in Baltimore.

The incident occurred as people were preparing for an annual festival that benefits the Cumberland Firefighters Union 1715. The event, which awards hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash prizes, draws hundreds of campers each year. 

Details for this story were provided by The Times-News in Cumberland, Md.