MAQUOKETA — A burst water pipe damaged several rooms at the Jackson County Humane Society in Maquoketa, prompting the shelter’s closure for at least a day.

Staff arriving Tuesday morning at the facility at 23354 Dark Hollow Road found about 2 inches of water on the floor, according to Shelter Coordinator Cora Sutton. She said she believes a pipe burst in the bathroom wall after freezing.

Water seeped into the shelter’s cat area and office, damaging a bookcase, Sutton said.

“We’re probably going to have to have help with donations to redo the drywall in the bathroom,” she said.

None of the animals were impacted by the break.

People who wish to donate should call the Jackson County Humane Society at (563) 652-5360 or Shirley Scholtes, humane society board president, at (563) 580-3550.

This Week's Circulars