• The Clintonish Knitters meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Thursday and from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church. Enter the east entrance from the parking lot and go upstairs, follow the signs.
• The Clinton Half Marathon will be at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 9 at Ashford University Field. Race director Dr. Brian Peck is expecting another big turnout to this year’s race. The event will offer the choice of a half marathon, 10K and 5K. All three races will begin just outside of Ashford University Field. Event organizers are looking to draw people from throughout the Midwest. Runners from 11 states came to Clinton to participate in last year’s inaugural event. The half marathon route will include several hills and a pass through Eagle Point Park. Runners will run alongside the Mississippi River and half marathoners will have the opportunity to see the widest part of the river while running through Eagle Point. An optional pasta dinner will be offered the night before the event. Following the pasta dinner will be a presentation by Matt Long, a nationally recognized speaker. Long has chronicled his life and journey in his book “The Long Run,” released in October 2010. Matt has also started the I WILL Foundation that provides coaching, training and financial support to help people overcome adversity and challenges caused by illness or traumatic injury. Proceeds from the Clinton Half Marathon event will be donated to the YWCA. Registration is available on the Clinton Half Marathon website at www.clintonhalfmarathon.com.
• The Ohnward Fine Arts Center, Maquoketa, presents “Heartache Tonight” a tribute to The Eagles! The performance starts at 7 p.m. From the powerful guitar duel in “Hotel California" to the shimmering harmonies of “Peaceful Easy Feeling,”Heartache Tonight” delivers a true Eagles concert experience, with attention to every detail. There are no pre-recorded backing tracks in the “Heartache Tonight” show; all vocal harmonies and guitar parts are faithful to the originals and performed live.
The six multi-talented members of “Heartache Tonight “have shared stages with some of the biggest names in rock and have played festivals and performing arts centers across the country. Tickets for adults are $22 (in advance) and $25 at the door. Student tickets are $13 in advance and $15 at the door. The show runs approximately two hours. Beer and wine will be available. Tickets can be purchased at The Ohnward Fine Arts Center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Osterhaus Pharmacy and the Maquoketa State Bank Main Office.
• Clinton Community College is hosting a Social Service Agency Information Fair from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the CCC Auditorium, 1000 Lincoln Blvd., Clinton. Representatives from agencies will be available to share information about the services they offer, as well as answer any questions about their services. Students from Clinton Community College and the general public are invited to attend. A Nook Tablet will be given away to one lucky CCC student who attends the fair. Several of the agencies will also host drawings for free prizes. Agencies represented at the fair include:
· American Red Cross
· ASAC Prevention
· Bethany for Children & Families
· Big Brothers Big Sisters of Clinton
· Blue Zones
· Bridgeview Community Mental Health Center
· CCSD Mentoring Program
· Child Care Resource & Referral of Southeast Iowa
· Children’s Discovery Center
· Clinton Housing Authority
· Clinton Public Library
· Community Care, Inc.
· Community Circle of Care
· Goodwill of the Heartland
· HCHV Outreach Center
· Illinois/Iowa Center for Independent Living
· Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services
· Information, Referral and Assistance
· Lutheran Services In Iowa
· Quitline Iowa
· River Bend Transit
· YWCA DV/SA RC & TH
· Women’s Health Services
• The Clinton Area Showboat Theatre is holding a trivia night on Friday, Sept. 21, at Gil’s in Clinton.
Teams should consist of six to eight members. master of ceremonies for the evening will be radio personality Chris Streets of KCLN.
The evening’s festivities will also include a 50-50 raffle and some silent auction items, with bids closing before the last round of questions. Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. with play beginning at 7 p.m.
Fees are $10 per person. Gil’s is open for dinner before the contest and beverages and snacks are available for purchase during the evening.
The Clinton Area Showboat Theatre will present a line-up of family friendly shows for the 2013 season, including: Forever Plaid, Godspell, Sound of Music, She Loves Me and Forever Maine.
Tickets for the 2013 season will be available at the trivia night.
Have an event you want to include on this list? Email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entertainment & Events
- Clinton Symphony Orchestra to perform this weekend STERLING, Ill. -- The Clinton Symphony Orchestra will perform this weekend in Sterling, Ill. The orchestra's 2014 Young Artist, pianist Cyrus Colah, of Clinton, will perform a concerto with the orchestra at the 7:30 p.m. concert at Centennial Auditor
- Film critic to share insight FULTON, Ill. -- A professional film critic will be the featured speaker at a program this week in Fulton. Linda Cook will discuss the subjective art of critiquing film and her love of movies at this week's Wild Winter Wednesday program at 9 a.m. Wedn
River City Municipal Band set for its landmark season
For more than two decades the River City Municipal Band has provided the city of Clinton and surrounding areas with the sounds of classical music, and to celebrate, the band has a few surprises in store.
Runners brave cold, hit Clinton streets
Small snowflakes filled the Clinton sky Saturday as hundreds of people ran in the 33rd Annual B-rrry Scurry undeterred by the weather. To see photos of the event, click here.
Christmas decorations light up night in Clinton
Christmas is a time of traditions and one of the most common traditions is the hanging of decorative lights on the outside of a house or business.
- Dinner supports kids, mentors CLINTON -- One of the Midwest's best lounge acts, the Midwest Dueling Pianos, returns to entertain the guests on Nov. 23 during the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Clinton's annual fundraising dinner. The Dueling Pianos fundraiser, in its third year, hel
Ashford student art featured
CLINTON -- Nine students in Ashford University's 3-D Design Class will showcase their art in an exhibit titled "After Nevelson." The exhibit will be held in the university's Cortona Art Gallery from Nov. 7-14, with an artists' reception planned for 8
- MTV series debuts on app NEW YORK -- MTV released a full season of a new series about a luckless high school football team on its mobile application Friday, a week before the first episode is shown on television. It appears to be a new milestone in the fast-moving world of t
- What does the fox say? Ka-ching! NEW YORK -- What does the fox say? Ka-ching at the moment, at least for some Halloween costume sellers and two Norwegian TV hosts who asked the question in a goofy video that landed them on U.S. talk shows and music charts. Funny brothers Vegard and
- Prince of Peace to present musical CLINTON -- The Prince of Peace Players will present "The Best of Broadway" in November. The musicals will be held Nov. 14 through 16 at Prince of Peace Catholic School. Students in sixth through 12th grade will perform Summer Loving of "Grease," Corn
- More Entertainment & Events Headlines