• The Clintonish Knitters meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Thursday and from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church. Enter the east entrance from the parking lot and go upstairs, follow the signs.
• The Clinton Half Marathon will be at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 9 at Ashford University Field. Race director Dr. Brian Peck is expecting another big turnout to this year’s race. The event will offer the choice of a half marathon, 10K and 5K. All three races will begin just outside of Ashford University Field. Event organizers are looking to draw people from throughout the Midwest. Runners from 11 states came to Clinton to participate in last year’s inaugural event. The half marathon route will include several hills and a pass through Eagle Point Park. Runners will run alongside the Mississippi River and half marathoners will have the opportunity to see the widest part of the river while running through Eagle Point. An optional pasta dinner will be offered the night before the event. Following the pasta dinner will be a presentation by Matt Long, a nationally recognized speaker. Long has chronicled his life and journey in his book “The Long Run,” released in October 2010. Matt has also started the I WILL Foundation that provides coaching, training and financial support to help people overcome adversity and challenges caused by illness or traumatic injury. Proceeds from the Clinton Half Marathon event will be donated to the YWCA. Registration is available on the Clinton Half Marathon website at www.clintonhalfmarathon.com.
• The Ohnward Fine Arts Center, Maquoketa, presents “Heartache Tonight” a tribute to The Eagles! The performance starts at 7 p.m. From the powerful guitar duel in “Hotel California" to the shimmering harmonies of “Peaceful Easy Feeling,”Heartache Tonight” delivers a true Eagles concert experience, with attention to every detail. There are no pre-recorded backing tracks in the “Heartache Tonight” show; all vocal harmonies and guitar parts are faithful to the originals and performed live.
The six multi-talented members of “Heartache Tonight “have shared stages with some of the biggest names in rock and have played festivals and performing arts centers across the country. Tickets for adults are $22 (in advance) and $25 at the door. Student tickets are $13 in advance and $15 at the door. The show runs approximately two hours. Beer and wine will be available. Tickets can be purchased at The Ohnward Fine Arts Center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Osterhaus Pharmacy and the Maquoketa State Bank Main Office.
• Clinton Community College is hosting a Social Service Agency Information Fair from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the CCC Auditorium, 1000 Lincoln Blvd., Clinton. Representatives from agencies will be available to share information about the services they offer, as well as answer any questions about their services. Students from Clinton Community College and the general public are invited to attend. A Nook Tablet will be given away to one lucky CCC student who attends the fair. Several of the agencies will also host drawings for free prizes. Agencies represented at the fair include:
· American Red Cross
· ASAC Prevention
· Bethany for Children & Families
· Big Brothers Big Sisters of Clinton
· Blue Zones
· Bridgeview Community Mental Health Center
· CCSD Mentoring Program
· Child Care Resource & Referral of Southeast Iowa
· Children’s Discovery Center
· Clinton Housing Authority
· Clinton Public Library
· Community Care, Inc.
· Community Circle of Care
· Goodwill of the Heartland
· HCHV Outreach Center
· Illinois/Iowa Center for Independent Living
· Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services
· Information, Referral and Assistance
· Lutheran Services In Iowa
· Quitline Iowa
· River Bend Transit
· YWCA DV/SA RC & TH
· Women’s Health Services
• The Clinton Area Showboat Theatre is holding a trivia night on Friday, Sept. 21, at Gil’s in Clinton.
Teams should consist of six to eight members. master of ceremonies for the evening will be radio personality Chris Streets of KCLN.
The evening’s festivities will also include a 50-50 raffle and some silent auction items, with bids closing before the last round of questions. Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. with play beginning at 7 p.m.
Fees are $10 per person. Gil’s is open for dinner before the contest and beverages and snacks are available for purchase during the evening.
The Clinton Area Showboat Theatre will present a line-up of family friendly shows for the 2013 season, including: Forever Plaid, Godspell, Sound of Music, She Loves Me and Forever Maine.
Tickets for the 2013 season will be available at the trivia night.
Have an event you want to include on this list? Email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.