• The Clintonish Knitters meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Thursday and from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church.
• The 37th annual Great American Smoke-out will be recognized this year on Thursday. To recognize the smoke-out this year, the Breathe Easy Tobacco Control Coalition is planning two community “quit clinics.” These quit clinics last one hour and they mimic the Fresh Start cessation program that is put out by the American Lung Association. These clinics are free and will be facilitated by Jennifer Gerdes, certified prevention specialist for ASAC/New Directions.
The dates of the community clinics are as follows at 11 a.m. to noon today at Clinton Community College room, 1000 Lincoln Blvd., Clinton room 130; from 5 to 6 p.m. today at Clinton Community College room, Clinton room 130.
For information, contact Jennifer at ASAC/New Directions at 243-2124 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Gateway Contemporary Ballet’s first Black and White ball will be held Friday at the Tuscany Special Events Center. The evening starts at 5:30 p.m. with a cocktail hour. A dinner will be held at 6:30 p.m. with dancing at 8 p.m.
A silent auction will be held throughout the event.
• A breakfast with Santa event will be held from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the Ashford University online center on Millcreek Parkway.
Admission is $4 at the door. The meal includes fruit, pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, doughnuts and milk. The event includes a picture with Santa, and a visit with Champ, the Ashford mascot, and Christmas elves.
Participants will make a personalized frame for their picture with Santa, write Christmas cards for troops, face painting and free goodies for kids.
For more information, call Betsy Vanausdeln at (877) 241-9893, ext. 7420, or Mick Welding at 243-4223.
• Crafts at the Sawmill Museum at 11 am. Create paper-punched cards. Crafts are skilled for school-age children; younger children will need adult assistance.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters will host a dueling pianos event from 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Rastrelli’s Tuscany room. Social hour will be at 6 p.m. and the program will last from 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $50 per person.
For more information, call 243-4223 or email email@example.com.
• Gateway Contemporary Ballet will perform “The Piano” at 2 p.m. at the Masonic Center, 416 S. First St.
• The downtown Christmas walk will be held from noon to 4 p.m. in downtown in Clinton. Downtown retailers will offer specials for the upcoming Christmas season.
• The annual pasta dinner fundraiser at the Felix Adler Children’s Discovery Center will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at the Tuscany Special Events Center at Rastrelli’s.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children younger than 9 either at the Discovery Center or at the door.
There will be face painting and pasta jewelery for the children.
• The Victory Center will once again host the Great Thanksgiving Banquet at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at the Durgin Center gymnasium at Ashford University.
Volunteers and donations are still being accepted.
Avenger an American value
If you’re someone who appreciates the golden age of domestic sedans — those big, comfortable, heavy-feeling cars with a uniquely American sense of style — this one ought to pique your interest.
- Clinton man wins top prize CLINTON -- A Clinton man said he didn't initially believe that his Super Crossword instant-scratch ticket was a top prize winner. In the end, though, Michael White ended up $50,000 richer. "I got to counting and I thought I only counted nine (words)
- Husband-wife team to lead Clinton church CLINTON -- A husband and wife team with international experience was welcomed as co-pastors Sunday by the members of First Congregational Church, United Church of Christ. Pastor Le Anne Christine Clausen de Montes is originally from Mason City and we
COPS donates to YWCA
Clinton's Community Outreach Public Service (COPS) group recently selected the YWCA Crisis Services for one of its community-focused projects and donated items to the organization. The items ranged from diapers to bus passes.
VIDEO: New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast unveiled
The highly anticipated cast of the new season of ABC's hit reality show was revealed Tuesday on "Good Morning America."
VIDEO: Best moments from the 2014 Oscars
We've got the best moments from The Oscars 2014 including Jennifer Lawrence's falls and Brad Pitt photobombing Ellen.
Actually, that asteroid did not nearly hit Earth
The Internet lit up with reports last week that a big rock was on a path to nearly strike the Earth on Monday night, Feb. 17. This was not true. But it made for a grabby headline. As in: "An Asteroid Will Almost Hit the Earth Tonight" (from Motherboard).
The glitz, the glamour and the movies: 3 apps for Oscar weekend
With the Oscars approaching, this is a weekend for movies. Download these apps, then watch a few movies, create your own and settle in for the awards show.
- Scout leaders honored with awards CLINTON -- Mark Neblung and Walt Hicks love scouting. "It's a program worth being involved in," Walt said. Growing up in Kentucky, Walt participated in the Boy Scouts of America and became involved in it once again more than 10 years ago, when his ol
- Odell sponsors festival of food and music MORRISON, Ill. -- The Odell Public Library will host an evening of fun and music in the Oak Room of the Prairie Ridge Country Club on Friday, March 14. A potato bar with all the trimmings and music from the Ukulele Connection will be on tap. The $12
- More Features Headlines
- Avenger an American value