• The Clintonish Knitters meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Thursday and from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church.
• The 37th annual Great American Smoke-out will be recognized this year on Thursday. To recognize the smoke-out this year, the Breathe Easy Tobacco Control Coalition is planning two community “quit clinics.” These quit clinics last one hour and they mimic the Fresh Start cessation program that is put out by the American Lung Association. These clinics are free and will be facilitated by Jennifer Gerdes, certified prevention specialist for ASAC/New Directions.
The dates of the community clinics are as follows at 11 a.m. to noon today at Clinton Community College room, 1000 Lincoln Blvd., Clinton room 130; from 5 to 6 p.m. today at Clinton Community College room, Clinton room 130.
For information, contact Jennifer at ASAC/New Directions at 243-2124 or email email@example.com.
• The Gateway Contemporary Ballet’s first Black and White ball will be held Friday at the Tuscany Special Events Center. The evening starts at 5:30 p.m. with a cocktail hour. A dinner will be held at 6:30 p.m. with dancing at 8 p.m.
A silent auction will be held throughout the event.
• A breakfast with Santa event will be held from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the Ashford University online center on Millcreek Parkway.
Admission is $4 at the door. The meal includes fruit, pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, doughnuts and milk. The event includes a picture with Santa, and a visit with Champ, the Ashford mascot, and Christmas elves.
Participants will make a personalized frame for their picture with Santa, write Christmas cards for troops, face painting and free goodies for kids.
For more information, call Betsy Vanausdeln at (877) 241-9893, ext. 7420, or Mick Welding at 243-4223.
• Crafts at the Sawmill Museum at 11 am. Create paper-punched cards. Crafts are skilled for school-age children; younger children will need adult assistance.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters will host a dueling pianos event from 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Rastrelli’s Tuscany room. Social hour will be at 6 p.m. and the program will last from 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $50 per person.
For more information, call 243-4223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Gateway Contemporary Ballet will perform “The Piano” at 2 p.m. at the Masonic Center, 416 S. First St.
• The downtown Christmas walk will be held from noon to 4 p.m. in downtown in Clinton. Downtown retailers will offer specials for the upcoming Christmas season.
• The annual pasta dinner fundraiser at the Felix Adler Children’s Discovery Center will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at the Tuscany Special Events Center at Rastrelli’s.
Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children younger than 9 either at the Discovery Center or at the door.
There will be face painting and pasta jewelery for the children.
• The Victory Center will once again host the Great Thanksgiving Banquet at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at the Durgin Center gymnasium at Ashford University.
Volunteers and donations are still being accepted.
- Glamorous Victory Belles revive World War II era NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Decked out in 1940s throwback tailored dresses and perfectly coiffed curls, the Victory Belles seem delightfully out of place in the age of hip-hop. They sing big-band classics at the National World War II Museum and flirt playful
- First Ford Mustang owner helps welcome new model DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) -- Gail Wise didn't know she was getting anything special when she drove away from a Chicago Ford dealership in the spring of 1964 in the first Mustang ever sold. Wise paid $3,347 for the car, happy to have a convertible. It wasn
- Manuscript sells for $197,000 NEW YORK (AP) -- A handwritten working manuscript of Bruce Springsteen's 1975 hit "Born to Run" has sold for $197,000 at a New York City auction. It sold at Sotheby's on Thursday. The pre-sale estimate was $70,000 to $100,000. Sotheby's says the docu
- Crafts for sale at Eagle Point Lodge this weekend CLINTON -- Homemade goodies and trinkets are great gifts to give this holiday season, and many local craft enthusiasts will have a chance to view the season's best at the Symphony of Lights craft show on Saturday and Sunday. For the second year, craf
- Most U.S. silent films have been lost WASHINGTON (AP) -- The vast majority of feature-length silent films made in America have been lost due to decay and neglect over the past 100 years, allowing an original 20th century art form to all but disappear, according to a study released Wednes
- Take that, selfie! 'Science' also tops NEW YORK (AP) -- Look alive, selfie. There's another word of the year that's not all about you. While Oxford University Press, the British publisher of the Oxford dictionaries, declared those little smartphone self-portraits its winner last month, th
- 'Messiah' sing-along scheduled CLINTON -- The holiday season is here, and that means the continuation of an 80-year Clinton tradition: the annual performance of Handel's "Messiah," to be held Sunday, Dec. 15, at 3 p.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 715 S. Third St. "This is year on
- Prince to headline 20th annual Essence Fest NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Next year's Essence Festival is getting a dose of music royalty from Prince. The "Purple Rain" singer-songwriter is headlining the 20th annual Essence, a celebration of black music and culture being held July 3-6 in New Orleans. P
City officials control parking along 12th Street
Students and parents of Fulton High School as well as other Fulton residents living on 12th Street soon will need to find a new place to park their cars.
- 7G Distributing set to acquire Davenport company CLINTON — Ron Kirchhoff of 7G Distributing LLC announced Monday that an agreement has been reached to acquire Vanguard Distributing of Davenport pending final approval of their respective suppliers. 7G Distributing LLC, is an Anheuser-Busch wholesale
- More Features Headlines