In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, here are 6 fictional pirate quotes to help ye land lubbers get into the spirit of the day.
"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am."
Blackbeard was a notorious English pirate of the 1700s who also became a fixture in fictional works, most recently in the film "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." Blackbeard is portrayed as the heartless captain of the ship "Queen Ann's Revenge" who is on a quest to find the Fountain of Youth.
Long John Silver
"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."
Long John Silver was crafted by Robert Louis Stevenson in his book "Treasure Island" published in 1883. He was a one-legged pirate who craftily hid his dark side until the opportune moment.
"Yo ho, yo ho, the frisky plank, You walks along it so, Till it goes down and you goes down To Davy Jones below!"
Though possibly more well-known as a Disney character, Captain Hook was first created in 1904 by J. M. Barrie in his classic play, "Peter Pan."
Dread Pirate Roberts
"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
The Dread Pirate Roberts is a character mentioned in the 1987 film "The Princess Bride," who takes farm boy Westley prisoner on his ship. He is never seen, but quoted by Westley mid-way through the film as he recounts his experience.
Captain Jack Sparrow
"Well, then, I confess. It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder, and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out."
Captain Jack Sparrow is a fixture in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie franchise, known for his strange mannerisms, trickery and passion for rum.
"Better were the days when mastery of seas came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. You all know this to be true!"
Also a character in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, Captain Hector Barbossa was first introduced as a cursed mutineer in "The Curse of the Black Pearl." He dies in the end of the film, but is brought back to life in the next installment of the series, "Dead Man's Chest."
- Rotary Club donation gets water to Haitians CLINTON — Nine Haitian communities now have the blessing of clean water due to the work of local Iowa Rotary clubs, including Clinton’s, and the charity Water for Life.Water for Life Directors Joy and Leon Miller have been drilling wells for years as
- 7 seek pageant crown CLINTON — The time has come for Miss Clinton County Brandy Herrington to pass her crown on to the next lucky contestant and this year the competition is thick.When the event commences on Saturday at the DeWitt Central Performing Arts Center, seven yo
- Calling America home CLINTON — Born in Russia, Natasha Jhanson now considers the United States her home.When the 41-year-old was born in Russia, the Soviet Union was still intact. When Natasha was 14, the area split into multiple countries. At that point, her family move
- Party in the Park a big hit CAMANCHE — Nearly 300 people joined together Thursday to celebrate their community and all it has to offer to its residents.During the fourth annual Party in the Park, Camanche combined all their forces including city councilmen, business owners and
We're raising a generation of timid kids
A week ago, a woman was charged with leaving her child in the car while she went into a store. Her 11-year-old child. This week, a woman was arrested for allowing her 9-year-old daughter to go to the park alone. Which raises just one question: America, what the heck is wrong with you?
- Choir reunion spanning five decades CLINTON — Music helped Dan Ivory form long-lasting bonds. A Clinton High graduate in 1989, Ivory said being able to sing and play in the marching band was a rewarding experience for him, one he has sorely missed over the last 25 years.“Being in a cap
- Birt joins Northeast staff DEWITT — After eight years of teaching physical education and coaching in the Central Community School District in DeWitt, Jered Birt, 33, will move to Northeast Middle/High School.Birt was recently named the assistant principal at Northeast Middle/H
- 'Y' raising funds with annual art event CLINTON — What difference can $20,000 make for the YWCA’s mission? That’s the amount raised from last year’s Art Under the Stars event, all of which went toward helping support the association’s victims of violence mission work.“It truly is entertain
- Slate of 'family-friendly' activities begins July 16 DEWITT — Clinton County has found its “fair niche,” said county fair director Mary Stevenson. The goal is to keep the event family friendly, and with four days packed with activities, Stevenson feels that her group has accomplished the task once agai
- A historical perspective FULTON, Ill. — After nearly three years of research, the Whiteside County Genealogy Society and Fulton Historical Society are ready to unveil a one-of-a-kind historical archive for the people of Whiteside County.Comprised of detailed family lineage a
- More Features Headlines