In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, here are 6 fictional pirate quotes to help ye land lubbers get into the spirit of the day.
"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am."
Blackbeard was a notorious English pirate of the 1700s who also became a fixture in fictional works, most recently in the film "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides." Blackbeard is portrayed as the heartless captain of the ship "Queen Ann's Revenge" who is on a quest to find the Fountain of Youth.
Long John Silver
"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."
Long John Silver was crafted by Robert Louis Stevenson in his book "Treasure Island" published in 1883. He was a one-legged pirate who craftily hid his dark side until the opportune moment.
"Yo ho, yo ho, the frisky plank, You walks along it so, Till it goes down and you goes down To Davy Jones below!"
Though possibly more well-known as a Disney character, Captain Hook was first created in 1904 by J. M. Barrie in his classic play, "Peter Pan."
Dread Pirate Roberts
"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
The Dread Pirate Roberts is a character mentioned in the 1987 film "The Princess Bride," who takes farm boy Westley prisoner on his ship. He is never seen, but quoted by Westley mid-way through the film as he recounts his experience.
Captain Jack Sparrow
"Well, then, I confess. It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder, and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out."
Captain Jack Sparrow is a fixture in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie franchise, known for his strange mannerisms, trickery and passion for rum.
"Better were the days when mastery of seas came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. You all know this to be true!"
Also a character in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, Captain Hector Barbossa was first introduced as a cursed mutineer in "The Curse of the Black Pearl." He dies in the end of the film, but is brought back to life in the next installment of the series, "Dead Man's Chest."
Wiebers crowned 2014 Miss Clinton County
For nearly all of her life, Taylor Wiebers has dreamed of winning the title of Miss Clinton County.
Meet Your Neighbor: JR Kuch takes the reins at Clinton High School
Working as a high school helper during his senior year at North Scott High School, JohnRyan "JR" Kuch first stepped onto the path of teaching and administration.
Evergreen job fair in the works
The Clinton Regional Development Corp. and the Clinton Area Chamber of Commerce are lining up companies to participate in a job fair exclusively for the soon-to-be displaced employees of Evergreen Packaging.
- 85 years a nun By Brenden WestAssistant EditorCLINTON — There are things you outlive over a lifetime.Sister Bertha Zeiser, 103, grew up in a Clinton County town that no longer exists (formerly known as Browns); the house she was born in is now a cornfield somewhere
Don't judge mothers with messy homes
I was building shelves in my garage when a neighbor girl, one of my 4-year-old daughter's friends, approached me and said, "I just saw in your house. It's pretty dirty. Norah's mommy needs to clean more."
Technology plays key part in battling police brutality (with VIDEO)
Allegations of police brutality are nothing new -- as long as there has been law enforcement, citizens have registered claims that some officers cross the line. But in the last few years, the claims of excessive force are being corroborated with new technology from cell phone cameras, police dash-cams and surveillance videos.
- McCaskill settles into new role at shoe store CLINTON — An Oklahoma boy at heart, Stewart McCaskill is settling into Clinton and Brown’s Shoe Fit.The 35-year-old has worked with the Brown’s Shoe Fit company for seven years. His brother-in-law, who manages a Brown’s in Colorado, brought Stewart i
Darth Vader is polling higher than all potential 2016 presidential candidates
On the other hand, with a net favorability of -8, Jar Jar is considerably more popular than the U.S. Congress, which currently enjoys a net favorability rating of -65.
- Hogue will lead River Bend schools FULTON, Ill. — Nearly eight months after opening the search, the River Bend School Board has found a replacement for the retiring district superintendent Robert “Chuck” Holliday.Darryl Hogue, principal of Morrison Junior High School, in Morrison, Ill
- Rotary Club donation gets water to Haitians CLINTON — Nine Haitian communities now have the blessing of clean water due to the work of local Iowa Rotary clubs, including Clinton’s, and the charity Water for Life.Water for Life Directors Joy and Leon Miller have been drilling wells for years as
- More Features Headlines
- Wiebers crowned 2014 Miss Clinton County