Officials have estimated that the Clinton dike has saved the city nearly $46 million in prevented damages.
This is a view of the river front dike, looking south from Sixth Avenue North, in Clinton on April 28, 1965, the day marking the crest of the Great Flood of 1965.
This is a photo of the construction of what would later become Riverview Drive, which runs atop the levee built along the Mississippi River in Clinton.
Clinton’s Riverview Drive today.
- Crafts for sale at Eagle Point Lodge this weekend CLINTON -- Homemade goodies and trinkets are great gifts to give this holiday season, and many local craft enthusiasts will have a chance to view the season's best at the Symphony of Lights craft show on Saturday and Sunday. For the second year, craf
- Most U.S. silent films have been lost WASHINGTON (AP) -- The vast majority of feature-length silent films made in America have been lost due to decay and neglect over the past 100 years, allowing an original 20th century art form to all but disappear, according to a study released Wednes
- Take that, selfie! 'Science' also tops NEW YORK (AP) -- Look alive, selfie. There's another word of the year that's not all about you. While Oxford University Press, the British publisher of the Oxford dictionaries, declared those little smartphone self-portraits its winner last month, th
- 'Messiah' sing-along scheduled CLINTON -- The holiday season is here, and that means the continuation of an 80-year Clinton tradition: the annual performance of Handel's "Messiah," to be held Sunday, Dec. 15, at 3 p.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 715 S. Third St. "This is year on
- Prince to headline 20th annual Essence Fest NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Next year's Essence Festival is getting a dose of music royalty from Prince. The "Purple Rain" singer-songwriter is headlining the 20th annual Essence, a celebration of black music and culture being held July 3-6 in New Orleans. P
City officials control parking along 12th Street
Students and parents of Fulton High School as well as other Fulton residents living on 12th Street soon will need to find a new place to park their cars.
- 7G Distributing set to acquire Davenport company CLINTON — Ron Kirchhoff of 7G Distributing LLC announced Monday that an agreement has been reached to acquire Vanguard Distributing of Davenport pending final approval of their respective suppliers. 7G Distributing LLC, is an Anheuser-Busch wholesale
Sawmill Museum decks the halls
The season of holiday cheer and goodwill among all has arrived, and to give families an opportunity to experience the joys of Christmas, the Sawmill Museum in Clinton has a series of family friendly programs planned for December.
Meet Your Neighbor: Evelyn Thomsen
CAMANCHE -- Evelyn Thomsen has always been entranced by the piano. Growing up in Camanche during the Great Depression, her first memories of the instrument are of winter days when her family had very little heat. Evelyn's mother would close off the
- 'A Christmas Story' turns 30 CLEVELAND -- Even after three decades, the triple-dog dare doesn't get old. The film "A Christmas Story" opened 30 years ago to mixed reviews but has shown its staying power as a holiday family favorite. Cleveland, where parts of the movie were filme
- More Features Headlines