Marilyn Monroe's medical records are going up for auction, revealing that the star underwent cosmetic surgery using an alias.
- Food & Health
- Nonallergenic rhinitis is a complex condition DEAR DR. ROACH: The problem of nonallergic rhinitis apparently affects a lot of people, yet I cannot recall seeing it mentioned in your column. In our case, my wife has had sinus problems for almost 20 years. She has tried every over-the-counter as w
- A fancy holiday meal that requires no fancy skills Looking to dazzle your guests during the holidays? I've got the perfect "fancy" dish for you. And I promise it requires no advanced culinary skills. I've adapted this from a recipe that first appeared in Gourmet magazine. It boasts a secret ingredien
- Food-tech startups aim to crack eggs and chicken SAN FRANCISCO -- Can plants replace eggs? A San Francisco startup backed by Bill Gates believes they can. Hampton Creek Foods is scouring the planet for plants that can replace chicken eggs in everything from cookies to omelets to French toast. Its f
- Diagnosis of depression can be challenging DEAR DR. ROACH: My elderly sister (78) is going through a traumatic experience and is very depressed. She has been on Prozac for eight months, and it is not helping. She is moderately cognitively disabled, and her doctor says the medication will not
- Nigella Lawson: A brand blemished When celebrity chefs cut themselves, how much they bleed is a matter of brand. Case in point: this year's messy public eruptions around two of the food world's most powerful women, Paula Deen and Nigella Lawson. Both made unsavory admissions about th
- Estrogen cream keeps blood estrogen low DEAR DR. ROACH: I am a 56-year-old white woman with a medical dilemma that is putting a terrible strain on my marriage. I had a full hysterectomy, which included the removal of my ovaries, four years ago due to many large fibroids. Ever since the sur
- Restless leg syndrome not a laughing matter DEAR DR. ROACH: Why do people snicker when I tell them I have RLS? They wouldn't laugh if they knew the amount of sleep deprivation I have endured during the 20 years it took to correctly diagnose it. I think if it hadn't been for Sinemet (levodopa a
- Elderly can face prolonged delirium post-surgery DEAR DR. ROACH: One week ago, my 99-year-old dad tripped over a metal strip that connects carpet to tile in a brightly lit concession area at a local movie theater and broke his left hip. Surgery was performed the next day, and he has been suffering
ROACH: Symptoms of collagenous colitis hard to live with
DEAR DR. ROACH: I have a rare type of colitis called collagenous colitis. The latest episode was set off two and a half years ago, when I took statins for a short time. I have not been able to get it under control since then. Asacol has not been succ
Mitigating heart risks with statin drugs
DEAR DR. ROACH: A recent column mentioned statin drugs and their effect on women. In August 2008, my internist said studies had shown that statin drugs for diabetics promoted heart health.
- More Food & Health Headlines