- Food & Health
- Toe surgery not standard DEAR DR. ROACH: I am an 82-year-old male. In my younger years, I participated vigorously in sports. As a result of that, I ended up with a degenerated joint in the big toe of my right foot. Forty years ago, the doctors gave me an artificial joint. Pr
Cut the nerve end, end the pain?
DEAR DR. ROACH: I am 85 and in fairly good health, but I am in my ninth year of extremely painful post-herpetic neuralgia. Instead of diminishing, the pain is increasing. It could be that the gabapentin (600 mg, three times daily) is wearing off. I tried Lyrica, but stopped when it hurt my eyes. The pain can be excruciating, even from the touch of a shirt. A relative suggested cutting the affected nerve. What would you recommend? — F.S.
- Drop foot continues after spinal stenosis surgery DEAR DR. ROACH: Two years ago, I was operated on for spinal stenosis. The pain I had in my lower back was virtually eliminated. However, the drop foot I had been experiencing in my right leg continues. The surgeon told me that the stenosis had irrita
- Do cancer concerns outweigh hair-loss help? DEAR DR. ROACH: I read with interest your recent column on prostate-cancer prevention. I am 42 years old and have been taking finasteride for a number of years for hair loss. I have not noticed any side effects. I take a 5 mg pill and cut it into fou
- ABC's Amy Robach to have double mastectomy NEW YORK -- A month after undergoing a mammogram on "Good Morning America," ABC's Amy Robach said Monday she has breast cancer and will have a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery this week. The 40-year-old correspondent admitted she had been
- Iowa hires out review of Wellmark's reserve level Iowa hires out review of Wellmark's reserve level DES MOINES -- A consultant has been hired to see whether the state's dominant health insurer has the right amount of customers' money tucked away in reserve. The Des Moines Register says Insurance Co
- Doctors urge wider use of drugs (AP) -- The nation's first new guidelines in a decade for preventing heart attacks and strokes call for twice as many Americans -- one-third of all adults -- to consider taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. The guidelines, issued Tuesday by the
- IPF is lung inflammation from unknown source DEAR DR ROACH: I am a 71-year-old male recently diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Three breathing tests and two lung CT scans have shown mild restrictive lung capacity and that the fibrosis is not progressing at this time. Also, fortunate
- Q&A: What are trans fats? The Associated Press WASHINGTON -- You may not even know you are eating them, but trans fats will eventually be a thing of the past. The Food and Drug Administration says it is phasing them out, saying they are a threat to public health. Some questi
- Michigan growers trying to get apples to doze off The Associated Press CENTRAL LAKE, Mich. -- This year's Michigan apple crop is expected to be 10 times as plentiful as last year's puny output. While the big bounce-back is welcomed in the nation's third-largest apple-producing state, the bounty pre
- More Food & Health Headlines