The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

Herrity

Herrity
  • Buf.Bill+with+D.Lingett.jpg Love and a Limousine

    One of the biggest characters in Clinton at the turn of the 20th Century was a journalist by the name of Dan Winget.

    September 16, 2013 1 Photo

  • Buell home.jpg The Buells Settle Lyons

    Elijah Buell died in 1889 as one of the wealthiest men in Iowa.

    September 11, 2013 1 Photo

  • 1876+Celebration.jpg Modoc Women

    You’ve heard this line before, but reports of Carrie Helfert Oake’s demise really have been greatly exaggerated -- by me!

    September 11, 2013 1 Photo

  • Queen+of+Boat+Livery.jpg Agnes "Aggie" Schrader, Queen of the Mississippi

    “Aggie.” What does that name call to mind? Do you remember “The Anchorage,” also known as Aggie’s Boat Dock?

    September 11, 2013 1 Photo

  • Pinky+7(3).jpg Polio and Pinky McDonnell

    It was the year 1949. The entire City of Clinton, like many communities, was periodically going through the terror of “polio” or poliomyelitis, or Infantile Paralysis as it was also called.

    September 11, 2013 1 Photo

  • Koons+Mansion.jpg The Koons’ Mansion

    In 1856, William Koons came to Clinton and helped build the first railroad bridge for the Northwestern to Little Rock Island -- where a small village existed for ten years, until a permanent span could be constructed across the river.

    September 10, 2013 1 Photo

  • slides5-R1-E049.jpg Muffy’s Main Avenue

    Four Square Park in Lyons was always the hub of wonderful entertainment -- at its band shell and, of course, in the Parkside Movie Theater, which showed all the latest movies at very reasonable prices!

    September 10, 2013 1 Photo

  • DD+Palmer.jpg The Great Chiropractic Debate

    Although Chiropractic was founded by D.D. Palmer in Davenport, Iowa, Clinton is also a root of this modern practice of spinal manipulation for healing.

    September 10, 2013 2 Photos

  • slides7-R1-E090.jpg The Lillian Russell Movie Premiere

    Throngs of people descended upon our railway depot on Wednesday, May 15th, 1940, to catch a first glimpse of four 20th Century Fox movie stars’ arrival.

    September 10, 2013 1 Photo

  • slides7-R1-E022.jpg Women’s Club was once Curtis Family Mansion

    The Women’s Club, at 420-5th Avenue So., was built in the early 1880’s for the George Curtis family.

    September 10, 2013 1 Photo