Women’s Club was once Curtis Family Mansion
The Women’s Club, at 420-5th Avenue So., was built in the early 1880’s for the George Curtis family.
The Gilded Age, in which Lillian Russell flourished, was known for the large hats that ladies wore and for the parasols which shaded their fair skin from the sun.
Marquis Childs, Journalist
Clinton has had so many exceptional people; we should start a Clinton Hall of Fame. Readers could probably think of a dozen nominations very quickly. One such person would be world-renowned journalist Marquis Childs, who was born in Lyons.
The Fluoride Debate
There was never a bigger crowd for a city council meeting than on March 22, 1965 when the final “showdown” for the Fluoride Debate would take place.
Clinton High School, 1941
Many people ask, “Just who was W.J. Yourd?"
The Big Tree, The Circus, and Ringwood Park
The Ringwood area or Ringwood Park was seven blocks of open fields, at the turn of the 20th Century, that extended from the north end of Clinton to the south end of Lyons at what is now 13th Avenue North.
Clinton Improvements and Artesian Well Water
The Gas Light and Coke Co. was founded in 1869 for $60,000. The names of Young, Weston, Howe, Toll, Lamb, and Bailey were prominent among the Board of Directors.
It is said that Camanche was so-named because two Indians were killed nearby, but they were probably of the Sac and Fox tribe who made the great Indian mounds across the river at Albany.
The one room schoolhouse
Out by Almont, there once stood two one-room schoolhouses.
“We Remained,” the story of Russell Volkmann in the Philippines
Most Americans are familiar with General Douglas MacArthur’s famous World War II quotation, as he emphatically stated “We Shall Return!”, upon leaving the Philippines in the war’s early days, in April, 1941. What many Clintonians may not realize is that a saga, which began here in Clinton and moved around the world, to the Far East and back again to Clinton, is the making of a story which has come full-circle in modern America.
- More Herrity Headlines
- Women’s Club was once Curtis Family Mansion