ERIE, Ill. —
Herald Staff Report
ERIE, Ill. — A furious fourth-quarter rally wasn’t enough for Morrison to overcome a 14-point deficit Wednes-day afternoon in a 55-51 loss at the Warkins Cardinal Classic girls basketball tournament.
After trailing Galva 46-32 to start the final frame, the Fillies cut the deficit to 54-51 on a Lakin Goodman layup with 1:46 to play. Morrison did not score again, though.
Chelsea Eads, who scored a team-high 13 points — seven in the fourth quarter — shot a potentially game-tying 3-pointer with 22 seconds left, but the ball bounced around the rim and out.
Nicole Withrow made 1 of 2 free throws with about 5 seconds left to seal the game for Galva.
For Morrison, Ashley Greul scored six of her 12 points in the fourth quarter. Goodman also reached double-digit points, with five of her 11 coming in the first quater.
In other pool-play games Wednesday:
Kewanee Wethersfield built a 21-5 lead over Stockton after the first quarter and won 64-44.
The Geese were led by Sarah Hansen’s 28 points, which included six 3-pointers. Brooke Beneventi led Stockton with 14 points.
After being outscored 7-4 in the first quarter, Monmouth-Roseville dominated the rest of the game, outscoring Bureau Valley 41-8 for a 45-15 win.
Nicole Bornsheiure scored 10 to lead the Storm, while Monmouth-Roseville got 13 from Destiny Smith and 10 from Collen Judge.
Knoxville held Ridgewood scoreless in the second quarter and built a 37-6 halftime lead. Knoxville won easily 57-16 behind 18 points from Tessa Jones and 17 from Kelly Lenz.
Jasmine Jefko led Ridgewood with five points.
GALVA 55, MORRISON 51
MORRISON — Brandi Hosford 0 0-0 0, Alyssa Canales 0 1-2 1, Lakin Goodman 4 3-5 11, Hannah Carlson 0 0-0 0, Rachel Davis 1 0-0 2, Chelsea Eads 4 5-7 13, Ashley Greul 5 2-4 12, Wallander 2 0-0 4, Adrienne Banks 3 2-5 8. Totals 19 13-23 51.
GALVA — Dani Gibbs 0 0-0 0, Sarah Jeffries 1 0-0 3, Rachel VanDeVelde 1 0-0 2, Devon Peterson 0 0-0 0, Nicole Withrow 3 1-2 10, Donel Samuel 1 0-0 2, Curran Riley 5 3-4 13, Katelyn Klein 0 1-2 1, Alex Strom 8 3-6 24. Totals 19 8-14 55.
Morrison 11 9 12 19 — 51
Galva 17 7 22 9 — 55
3-point goals — Galva 9 (Strom 5, Withrow 3, Jeffries). Total fouls — Morrison 17; Galva 19. Fouled out — Davis.
ERIE, Ill. —
Herald Staff Report
- High School Sports
Wrestling: Kings lose twice in MAC
ELDRIDGE -- Clinton battled the other two teams expected to battle for third, fourth and fifth places in Mississippi Athletic Conference wrestling Thursday night and came out on the short end both times. North Scott, ranked seventh in Iowa Class 3A b
- DeWitt in tough 3A field DES MOINES -- The Central DeWitt Sabers are in new territory this week. The Class 3A portion of the 2013 Iowa boys basketball state tournament begins Tuesday evening at 6:30 when the Sabers face off against the MOC-Floyd Valley Dutch, whose girls te
- Harden's success extends to studies Herald Staff Report CLINTON -- When Nate Harden qualified for the Iowa high school state swimming meet this winter, he became just the second Clinton High School athlete to compete at a state postseason event in four different sports. But, his succe
- Prophetstown pair honored in Class 2A CHICAGO -- A pair of juniors who led Prophetstown to a runner-up finish in the Illinois Class 2A girls basketball state tournament have been named honorable mention all-state players by the Associated Press. Clare Kramer and Corrie Reiley, the top tw
- Wenzel a 2nd-team all-MAC pick DAVENPORT -- Clinton High senior Erin Wenzel was named to the All-Mississippi Athletic Conference second team in girls basketball by a vote of the conference coaches. Two other River Queens, senior Jordan Nelson and sophomore Elle Tubbs, were named h
Sabers to state
CEDAR RAPIDS -- As the Central DeWitt Sabers walked around the court after their 58-47 substate final win over Benton Community, they realized one thing: The path to the state tournament is not easy.
- Easton Valley to play at 10:30 BOONE -- The Class 1A field for the Iowa boys basketball state tournament was completed Monday night as three games that were postponed Saturday were played. Now that the field is complete, Easton Valley knows when it will play its opener next week a
- DeWitt in the substate final CEDAR RAPIDS -- One area team has punched its ticket to the State Basketball Tournament next week, and DeWitt could become the second on Monday. DeWitt Central will face Benton Community at Cedar Rapids Kennedy (7 p.m. tip-off), and the winner will
- St. Thomas More too big, too strong, too fast NORMAL, Ill. -- Sometimes things are not as advertised. Sometimes they don't live up to the hype, or even meet expectations. And sometimes they leave you in astonishment, left with your mouth wide open. Unfortunately for the Prophetstown Lady Prophe
- Easton Valley state bound By Jon Gremmels Herald Sports Editor Easton Valley state bound
- More High School Sports Headlines
- Wrestling: Kings lose twice in MAC