One of the most historic districts of Clinton is the hill area near 10th Avenue So. and 6th Street where the Carey Construction Co. was paving the street with bricks about 1910. To the east, in the 500 Block of 10th Avenue, are some of the oldest homes in Clinton. In the picture, the late Dr. Ed Carey’s father and grandfather are standing off to the right side with suits on. His grandfather’s name is still to be seen on many sidewalks around Clinton. Here, his construction company is laying the brick street on one of the main trolley car lines. In fact, the trolleys passed each other as you can still see in the 700 block of this avenue, so the tracks had to widen at this point.
The brick streets were big projects all over Clinton right after the turn of the century when cars were coming on the scene. First the downtown was paved and then slowly some of the streets. The bricks were exquisitely placed and “pile drived” via steam engine power (see picture) into secure place so that it is still hard to extract them. The paving bricks are so well made that they are of great value today for patios. The rumble of the brick streets were music to the ears of automobiles users and some of these fine roads still exist in our town.
Dr. Carey had the distinct advantage of having a construction company grandfather who valued education. His father was sent to college to become an engineer, and then he himself went on to become a much admired Eye- Ear- Nose- and Throat doctor, who served Clinton’s citizens well for many decades. Upon being graduated from medical school, Dr. Ed Carey served in WWII, and then returned to Clinton to practice medicine. He was truly a nice man and was a wonderful conversationalist.