Picture: The old horse livery business in the 1880’s, which became Becker’s and the Fire Place Shop, near where Doyle’s is today.
Four Square Park in Lyons was always the hub of wonderful entertainment -- at its band shell and, of course, in the Parkside Movie Theater, which showed all the latest movies at very reasonable prices! Every year after the town’s first centennial, in 1936, Lyons would have a huge celebration there, with ferris-wheels and all kinds of carnival food and entertainment. Behind and along-side the theater, Muffy remembers Augus Gerdes’ welding shop.
In the second half of the fourth block was: Stuedeman’s Shoes, and the Budweiser Tavern, which is now well-known as The Lyons Tap. Across the street, you may recall LaCantina at #116 and Maury and Joe Brick’s Plumbing, at #118-120. There was a Mr. Papykyriakos who ran a restaurant there, which later became Chuck’s (Holm’s), and on the alley, Art Feddersen ran a popular soda shop that served as a north-end rendezvous for all the Clinton Herald’s paper carriers.
Back on the other side of the street were Mike Lollich’s at #119; Kershner’s Bakery; and The Lyons Drug Store, once run by G.W. Schenk and, later, by Travis Schankel. There was a Ben Franklin’s around the corner, operated by Joe Robinson; and the Steiner Meat Market was right next-door. Just behind them, Max Naeve, a kindly acquaintance of Muffy’s, ran a welding shop. Let’s not forget Rudman’s Insurance, just before the Drug Store, which was later run by Carl Bach and his right-hand-man (as well as Lyons Business District backbone), Paul Murphy. Just east of the drug store was Frank Busk’s Bar. His son Russell went to Iowa and played football with the famous Ironmen of 1939.