The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

February 28, 2014

Post-trial hearing for NATO protesters


Associated Press

CHICAGO — A post-trial hearing is scheduled for NATO protesters acquitted earlier this month of Illinois terrorism charges.

The three out-of-state activists are due in court Friday for the first time since their trial ended. They were convicted of lesser offenses, including arson.

Authorities say they plotted Molotov cocktail attacks on several high-profile targets during the 2012 NATO summit in Chicago. Jurors rejected the most serious allegations accusing of terrorism.

A Cook County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman says the judge will deal with post-trial motions, but won't sentence the three Friday. She says a sentencing date will likely be set in April.

The activists face up to 30 years in prison under state sentencing guidelines, though they'll likely receive far less. One possibility is that a judge releases them on time served.