- Danks hit hard in defeat CHICAGO (AP) — Jon Danks is happy the Chicago White Sox are done with the Houston Astros for this season.Danks lasted a season-low 4 1/3 innings, giving up a season-high 12 hits and seven runs in an 11-7 loss Sunday.“Dug us a hole. These guys fought
Prosecutors respond to new Blagojevich argument
Prosecutors have responded to a new argument that former Gov. Rod Blagojevich submitted this week to a federal court considering his appeal.
WIU receives award for improving retention rate
Western Illinois University has received an award for increasing its student retention rate.
Springfield police issue 300 cellphone citations
Springfield police say they've issued hundreds of citations to people using cellphones while driving more than six months after a state-wide ban took effect.
- First day a success at Cordova CORDOVA, Ill. — Friday night couldn’t have been a better start to a weekend of drag racing as Cordova Dragway Park kicked off the IHRA Summer Nationals Nitro Jam.Cordova Dragway was the home to this event for years, a streak ending in 2002. For the f
- MVC bringing tourney to area MOLINE, Ill. – Division I basketball is returning to the area.At a news conference Thursday afternoon, officials from the Quad Cities and the Missouri Valley Conference announced that the MVC is bringing its women’s basketball tournament to the iWire
- Arrieta new Cubs' bright spot CHICAGO — Each start was remarkably similar. That smooth, efficient motion. The devastating array of pitches. The easy cool that quickly spreads to his teammates, who are so confident when he takes the mound.A year after a disappointing departure fro
- 'Enthusiasm boiling over' at Cordova MOLINE, Ill. – The fast cars and fast women are back at Cordova Dragway Park, and there are even more of them this year.Elaine Larsen is returning to the drag strip in Cordova, Ill., this weekend with her all-female cast of Jet Dragster drivers. Ther
- Residents observe Prophetstown fire anniversary PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. — A small community in northwestern Illinois has marked the first anniversary of a damaging fire.Residents of Prophetstown gathered Tuesday for a ceremony to celebrate the first responders and the ground-breaking of a new building
- Towns prep for opening of prison FULTON, Ill. — When the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee approved $43.7 million in June for equipment and staffing toward the activation of the Thomson, Illinois, Correctional Center, a wave of relief came over officials in the Gateway area.But,
- More Illinois Headlines