CLINTON - The name of the motorcyclist who was pronounced dead in the hours following a Monday accident has been released.

According to the motor vehicle accident report Ronald G. Hufford, 70, of Clinton, was transported to Mercy Hospital - North after the accident, where he died some time that evening. 

The report, completed by Clinton police officer Anthony Stone, indicates that Stone and officer Brett Schwandt responded to the accident at 5:06 p.m. They found Hufford lying on his back near a group of people, bleeding from behind his left ear and his hand.

Hufford reported feeling pain only in his hand. Stone "kneeled by Hufford's head and held his head inline with his spine until Clinton Fire Department paramedics arrive and took over" care.

Prior to the paramedics' arrival, Stone asked Hufford a series of questions to check his mental awareness. Hufford correctly identified his own name and location, and the current U.S. president. He was unable to answer what year it is, first saying 1990 and then 2005, according to the report. Stone "asked him if he meant 2015, and he said yes."

Hufford indicated his insurance card was in the saddlebags of his motorcycle, but Stone did not find it there.

Hufford was driving a red 2002 Suzuki Intruder motorcycle, while the other vehicle was a red 2003 Chevrolet suburban driven by Branif M. Burke, 21, of Clinton.

Stone asked onlookers if they had observed the accident, but all indicated they had come upon the scene after it occurred. 

Burke told Stone he had looked down at his radio and did not see that Hufford had slowed down to turn right from Manufacturing Drive on to South 18th Street. He was cited for failure to stop in assured clear distance ahead.

Minor damage to the front of the Suburban was observed, the report continues; the motorcycle's rear fender and seat were folded forward.

Stone went to the hospital to speak more with Hufford, who did not have his wallet or insurance card. Hufford said his wife, Bonnie, may have it. 

Stone called and informed Bonnie of Hufford's accident, and asked her to bring the insurance card to Mercy. Because it was going to be about 30 minutes before she could get there, Stone left his business card with the case number with Hufford's belongings and asked a nurse to have Bonnie call upon her arrival.

The following morning, Stone learned that Hufford had died at the hospital a few hours after the accident. The report states that Stone's response to the accident and interviews with Burke, Hufford and the group of people on scene were recorded by the in-car camera, with body-microphone audio.

This Week's Circulars