While we normally share mobile apps, this week's "special edition" piece includes three desktop apps to save your distracted self from social media scrolling, constant email checking and general lack of focus.
SelfControl for Mac
If you lack self-control and find yourself wasting hours scrolling through social media, you can always download it. SelfControl, the Mac app, allows the user to build a personal blacklist of websites and will block them for a specified amount of time, up to 24 hours.
Self Control can be downloaded for free. (PC users can download a similar app, Freedom.)
Cold Turkey for Windows
Cold Turkey goes one step beyond blocking websites and lets users schedule a day's worth of blocks for websites or programs. Allow Facebook only during your lunch break or block out a few hours when you won't check email.
It can be downloaded for free.
While useful, RescueTime might tell you a few things you don't want to know. The program tracks your usage and will give you stats on which activities dominate your day. Think you spend too much time on Twitter? RescueTime can tell you.
RescueTime Lite is available for free for Mac, Windows and mobile systems.
The virtues of lying
Two computational scientists set out recently to simulate the effects of lying in a virtual human population. Their results, published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B, show that lying is essential for the growth of a cohesive social network.
- Low-cost, free cellphone options for seniors DEAR SAVVY SENIOR: What are the cheapest cell phone options available today to seniors living on a shoestring budget? I only need it for occasional calls. — Seldom Calling SeniorDEAR SELDOM: For financially challenged seniors who only want a cell pho
Off to market: Fulton Buy-Way yard sales are Aug. 8 and 9
Flea market fans and bargain shoppers will once again make their way to Fulton.
School supplies offered at events
With students going back to school soon, Clinton families will have two opportunities to receive free back-to-school supplies.
Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world
We all know there are only two types of people in the world: cat people and dog people. But data from market research firm Euromonitor suggest that these differences extend beyond individual preferences and to the realm of geopolitics: it turns out there are cat countries and dog countries, too.
YWCA offers lifeguard training
CLINTON — The YWCA will offer lifeguard training in August.The course will be held from Aug. 4 to 10 at the YWCA. This 30-hour class will meet from 5 to 9 p.m. for four weeknights and from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday. A possibility of adding a class from 1
- Teams race to complete challenges THOMSON, Ill. — A challenge in August will pit teams against each other to complete a series of challenges.The event will begin at 9 a.m. Aug. 16 at the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge in Thomson. Armed with GPS units, teams
Habitat for Humanity hosts fundraiser
CLINTON — Habitat for Humanity will host a fundraiser in Thomson, Illinois.The Clinton County group will showcase Laid Back Luau from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8, at Heirloom Cafe in Thomson. The event will feature games, prizes, music train rides for
- Fire departments undergo grain bin rescue training OMAHA — The Goose Lake and Lost Nation Volunteer Fire Departments each have received lifesaving grain bin rescue equipment through a donation from Farm Credit Services of America.Goose Lake received its equipment July 14 and Lost Nation on July 15. E
- ADM donates $75K for fire boat purchase CLINTON — Archer Daniels Midland Company has donated $75,000 to the city of Clinton for a new fire and rescue boat for the Clinton Fire Department.The boat will help the fire department respond to fires, administer emergency medical services and resp
- More Lifestyles Headlines
- The virtues of lying