While filling taxes can be a pain, many free resources are available to make the process easier and then let you track your refund after you file. From the IRS form for those who are more comfortable with financial infomation to free services that walk you through every step, many people can file taxes for free from home.
Information provided by IRS.gov.
Access free file forms from the IRS
The Internal Revenue Service makes free federal filling available for anyone who's "comfortable" filling with little assistance.
Free federal filing is available for anyone age 71 and younger with an income of $57,000 or less. However, residents of Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas and Washington are not eligible to use Free1040TaxReturn.
Where's my refund?
Use the IRS refund tracker to monitor when you'll get your refund.
TurboTax® Freedom Edition
Free federal return filing if adjusted gross income is $31,000 or less, or $57,000 or less and an active military member. U.S. citizens and resident aliens living in any state are all eligible.
H&R Block's Free File
Anyone living in the United States, under 52 years of age and with an adjusted gross income of $57,000 or less can file using H&R Block's Free File.
Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world
We all know there are only two types of people in the world: cat people and dog people. But data from market research firm Euromonitor suggest that these differences extend beyond individual preferences and to the realm of geopolitics: it turns out there are cat countries and dog countries, too.
- Low-cost, free cellphone options for seniors DEAR SAVVY SENIOR: What are the cheapest cell phone options available today to seniors living on a shoestring budget? I only need it for occasional calls. — Seldom Calling SeniorDEAR SELDOM: For financially challenged seniors who only want a cell pho
YWCA offers lifeguard training
CLINTON — The YWCA will offer lifeguard training in August.The course will be held from Aug. 4 to 10 at the YWCA. This 30-hour class will meet from 5 to 9 p.m. for four weeknights and from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday. A possibility of adding a class from 1
- Teams race to complete challenges THOMSON, Ill. — A challenge in August will pit teams against each other to complete a series of challenges.The event will begin at 9 a.m. Aug. 16 at the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge in Thomson. Armed with GPS units, teams
Habitat for Humanity hosts fundraiser
CLINTON — Habitat for Humanity will host a fundraiser in Thomson, Illinois.The Clinton County group will showcase Laid Back Luau from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8, at Heirloom Cafe in Thomson. The event will feature games, prizes, music train rides for
- Fire departments undergo grain bin rescue training OMAHA — The Goose Lake and Lost Nation Volunteer Fire Departments each have received lifesaving grain bin rescue equipment through a donation from Farm Credit Services of America.Goose Lake received its equipment July 14 and Lost Nation on July 15. E
- ADM donates $75K for fire boat purchase CLINTON — Archer Daniels Midland Company has donated $75,000 to the city of Clinton for a new fire and rescue boat for the Clinton Fire Department.The boat will help the fire department respond to fires, administer emergency medical services and resp
- Students get first-hand look at non-profits CLINTON — An upcoming event will showcase Clinton area’s non-profits to incoming Ashford University students.The second Fresh START (Serving to Achieve Results Together) event will be held Saturday, Aug. 16. Students and staff members will serve at v
- Two honored as 'Friends' MORRISON, Ill. — The Whiteside County Fair recently announced its 2014 Friend of the Fair. Paul Vock and Dan Heusinkveld are this year’s honorees. The two men have been involved with the fair for decades.Vock started with the fair in 1971 as the Heav
Nurses earn Daisy awards
CLINTON — Two Clinton nurses recently earned Daisy awards.Mercy Medical Center nurses Jodie Atkinson and Kristen Bice earned the awards that is rewarded to extraordinary nurses. Atkinson began her career in nursing at Mercy Medical Center in 1995 on
- More Lifestyles Headlines
- Where cats are more popular than dogs in the U.S.-and all over the world