The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

February 6, 2014

Man accidentally sets self on fire

By Samantha Pidde Herald Staff Writer
The Clinton Herald

---- — CLINTON — The condition is unknown for a homeless man who accidentally set himself on fire Saturday night.

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City staff were unable Wednesday to release the condition of Eric Manning, 33. Clinton Police Capt. Bill Greenwalt confirmed that Manning told police Saturday that he was sleeping by a camp fire under the south bridge and awoke to his clothing on fire.

He extinguished the flames by rolling in the snow and walked to the Hy-Vee gas station, 809 S. Fourth St., for help.

“There’s no suspected foul play,” Greenwalt said. “This is an area (under the bridge) that has a history of being temporary shelter for homeless people.”

Officers were dispatched to the gas station at 6:45 p.m. for a report of a man with burns on his body. Manning was taken to Mercy Medical Center North and was later transferred to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.