Clinton police this afternoon have announced that one person is dead as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the Clinton Women’s Club.
At 2:05 p.m. today, police received a call from staff at the club, located at 420 Fifth Ave. South. Staff members reported hearing a gunshot in the living quarters of the building. Staff members were told by police to leave the building.
At 4:10 p.m., officers from the hazardous entry team entered the living quarters and found a resident dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
No foul play is suspected, police say.
The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.
- Local News
- Local candidates gear up for primary election CLINTON -- The campaign trail is heating up a little early this year for Iowa politicians as the primary election is on the horizon and many challengers await. Three Republican primary races are causing those candidates to get their names and faces o
- City considers upsizing storm sewer capacity CAMANCHE -- Residential development is a key component to the fortitude of Camanche, according to city leaders so they are taking the steps necessary to keep it an appealing location for future investors. To do so, those leaders are looking to up siz
- Schools will continue sports-sharing agreements CLINTON -- Students attending Camanche, Central DeWitt, Northeast and Prince of Peace schools still will be able to participate in the athletic programs offered in the Clinton School District. At a meeting Monday, Clinton School Board members approve
- Sex abuse trial continues CLINTON -- Assistant County Attorney Ross Barlow began his case Tuesday against a man charged with sexual abuse of a 3-year-old girl. Russell McColley, 39, is charged with second-degree sexual abuse, a class B felony carrying as much as 25 years in
- Cattail Slough closed due to high water FULTON, Ill. -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Project announces that Cattail Slough recreation area south of Fulton has been closed due to high water levels. The recreation area will remain closed until it has dried out sufficie
- Thefts from farms investigated MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Carroll County Crime Stoppers is asking for help to solve two recent burglaries being investigated by the Carroll County Sheriff's Department. A caller could receive a reward of as much as $1,000 for information leading to an ar
MAP: January & February arrests by ward
The monthly arrest reports for January and February indicate 139 total arrests were made by Clinton police during that time period.
UPDATED: School board finalizes new budget, cuts positions
Job cuts in the Clinton School District were made official this week.
Clinton School Board members approved 12 job cuts in February to make up a $907,751 deficit in the fiscal year 2014-15 school district budget. On Monday, the board unanimously approved the final budget, which included the cuts.
County hears jail proposal
CLINTON -- A needs assessment study on the Clinton County Jail and communications department is bringing forth more questions on how the city and county will proceed. Former Clinton County Justice Coordinating Commission Coordinator Brian McKenrick a
- Sex abuse trial under way in Clinton CLINTON -- Prosecutors will present their case today in the trial of a Clinton man accused of sexual abusing a 3-year-old girl. The trial against Russell S. McColley, 39, began late Monday afternoon. He is charged with second-degree sexual abuse, a c
- More Local News Headlines