Clinton police this afternoon have announced that one person is dead as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the Clinton Women’s Club.
At 2:05 p.m. today, police received a call from staff at the club, located at 420 Fifth Ave. South. Staff members reported hearing a gunshot in the living quarters of the building. Staff members were told by police to leave the building.
At 4:10 p.m., officers from the hazardous entry team entered the living quarters and found a resident dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
No foul play is suspected, police say.
The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.
- Local News
Shop with a cop enhances children's holidays
CLINTON -- Police officers were on scene Saturday for a different kind of service call -- holiday shopping with dozens of cheerful children. Thirty-two students, kindergarten to third grade from four local elementary schools, all gathered Saturday wi
- Courts: Sentence delayed on woman
BNS may land in realm of the fire department
CLINTON — The city’s Building and Neighborhood Services Department could become a division of the Clinton Fire Department on Tuesday.
Marina planning for next season
CLINTON -- Winter has arrived and as the river begins to freeze, employees at the Clinton Marina are feeling confident to finally take a deep breath. First-year marina manager Cindy Brackemeyer said there were several obstacles to overcome during the
- DeWitt approves plat plans By Janet Huffman Herald Correspondent DEWITT -- The DeWitt City Council approved the preliminary and final plats of Brookline Subdivision at its Monday meeting. Brookline has been in the development process for several years. It is a 2-lot subdivisio
- Lyons food program CLINTON -- The thought of students struggling to find food during the long breaks away from school has inspired a group of north-end Clinton residents to combat hunger. Enamored with the thought of helping others, Lyons Middle School teacher and stu
- Residents brave cold to enjoy Christmas event By Amy Kent Herald Staff Writer FULTON, Ill. -- Despite frigid December temperatures on Friday, Fulton residents came out and bundled up to support the Chamber of Commerce Christmas Walk in downtown Fulton. The annual event takes place on the first F
Plant worried about new rules
CLINTON -- Iowa Congressman Dave Loebsack spent some time on Friday at Clinton County Bio Energy as part of his Fueling Iowa's Economy tour to discuss his views on the importance of renewable fuels. The Environmental P
Commission recommends approving railport plat
CLINTON -- In order to keep up with the pace of the two new companies in the Lincolnway Railport, city officials are expediting some standard practices. The City Plan Commission on Thursday recommended wai
- Bridge closed Friday during jumper threat CLINTON -- One man is being treated at Mercy Medical Center -- North after police retrieved him on Friday from the US 30 bridge in Clinton, according to a report. Police responded Friday to a call at approximately 1:46 p.m., that reported an adult ma
- More Local News Headlines
- Shop with a cop enhances children's holidays