Herald Staff Report
Officials with the Clinton Fire Department have determined a house fire that left one person in critical condition Sunday was caused by a candle.
The fire was caused accidentally when a candle was knocked over and ignited material on the floor, officials said.
The Clinton Fire Department responded to 2351 Chancy St. shortly after 1:30 a.m. Sunday to a call of a possible structure fire with one occupant unable to get out of the house, according to Battalion Chief Michael McQuistion.
When crews arrived they found light smoke coming from the residence and were informed one person was still inside the house. Firefighters went into the home and extinguished the fire in the room it had started, where the occupant was located.
The victim is in critical condition at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics burn unit, officials said.