MAQUOKETA — The Jackson County Community Foundation awarded the Regional Transit Authority a $3,000 grant to initiate RTA Learn to Ride Courses.
The award will be used to facilitate courses and help familiarize people with the RTA.
Learn to Ride is designed to teach new and current passengers about all the services RTA provides, how to access financial resources if a rider qualifies, and how to properly plan a trip. Courses will be held in Maquoketa and Bellevue. Meetings are open to the general public and are scheduled as followed:
• Friday, Nov. 8, 11:30 a.m.; Jackson County Senior Center
• Tuesday, Nov. 12, 5:30 p.m.: Jackson County Senior Center
• Tuesday, Dec. 3, 10 a.m.: Bellevue Senior Center
• Monday, March 10, 5:30 p.m.: Jackson County Senior Center
• Friday, March21,11:30 a.m.: Jackson County Senior Center
• Tuesday, March 25, 10 a.m.: Bellevue Senior Center
Individuals with the following needs can be referred to this course:
• Families of older parents who may not be able to drive independently any longer
• Individuals who do not have a vehicle or do not like to drive
• Individuals who use a mobility device (wheelchair, walker, etc.,) who are unsure how to board or exit the bus
• Any individual who would like to use public transportation to increase their independence
The RTA is managed by the East Central Intergovernmental Association located in Dubuque. The RTA provides accessible, safe, convenient and efficient transportation for all citizens in the cities, communities and rural areas of Delaware, Dubuque and Jackson counties to enhance their quality of life. RTA vehicles are equipped to accommodate all people, including children, the elderly and people with disabilities. The RTA manages a fleet of 30 light duty buses, accessible minivans and standard vans. RTA provides 180,000 annual passenger trips serving more than 2,500 individuals in the three-county region.
￼Businesses or organizations interested in holding an on-site course, or have questions should contact RTA Mobility Coordinator Bridget Bartlett at (563) 690-5761or BBartlett@ecia.org.