CLINTON — While the details of large-item pickup remain unclear, city officials have taken the first steps to have a private company complete the service this fall.
The City Services Committee on Wednesday directed a request for proposal (RFP) for large-item pickup be issued.
Vendors need to turn in proposals by Sept. 17 in order for the contract to be reviewed and make it onto the Sept. 24 City Council agenda.
The RFP does not cover how the contractor would carry out the service or when it would start.
“We can negotiate with them as to where they’re going to start, if they’re going to have multiple crews running at the same time and I think we would probably wait to get input from the winning bidder as to mobilization before we set a date,” City Attorney Jeff Farwell told committee members.
Although the contract doesn’t address dates, it does stress the work should be done expediently and informs potential bidders that it would need to be completed within 21 days of when the large-item pickup starts.
Committee members pointed out that if the contract were to be awarded Sept. 24, residents likely wouldn’t be able to ditch their large items until October.
“If we were going to do it we were going to do it in October anyway because then it’s cooler. So I don’t think that’s a bad thing,” City Administrator Jessica Kinser said.
The proposals will state how much the vendor will charge to pick up and dispose what residential users throughout the city put out, which includes the items listed in the city’s large-item pickup resolution: furniture, carpeting, large toys such as dismantled swing sets, swimming pools, bikes, etc. and household building and remodeling materials.
As stipulated by the resolution, concrete rubble, electronics, televisions, computers, copiers, roofing material, appliances, household hazardous wastes such as pesticides and propane tanks and tires won’t be accepted.
Residents also cannot put out miscellaneous items that would fit into the 95-gallon solid waste container.
Even after all the proposals have been received, the City Council could still choose not to award a contract to a private hauler if the cost is exorbitant compared to what the city would spend providing the service itself.
The move to issue an RFP came from several discussions the city held regarding the service’s necessity.
The large-item pickup program was reduced from two times a year to just one fall pickup last year. The City Services Committee earlier this year forwarded a proposal to eliminate the service altogether for one year, but city officials decided instead to see if a private company could better provide the service.