CLINTON — A Clinton man who burglarized a school on multiple occasions was granted a deferred judgement.

Steven T. Dickens, 21, appeared Thursday in Clinton County District Court for sentencing for four counts of third-degree burglary, a Class D felony. District Court Judge Mary Howes granted Dickens a deferred judgement on all four counts of third-degree burglary. Howes ordered Dickens complete the RCF program as a condition of probation.

She ordered Dickens be held in the Clinton County Jail until bed space becomes available at the RCF. Howes ordered Dickens pay a $750 civil penalty on two counts and waived the $750 civil penalty on two counts. A charge of second-degree theft was dismissed at sentencing.

Howes stated while the offenses spanned three felony cases, the same place was burglarized each time. She found probation was appropriate for Dickens due to his age, the offenses not being violent and Dickens taking responsibility for his role in the offenses.

According to the affidavit, on April 24, an officer responded to Wee School, 949 12th Ave. North, in reference to a burglary. An officer met the owner, who reported the theft of an iPad 2 valued at $458 and an HP Probook laptop computer valued at $679.99.

The affidavit states on June 14 an officer responded to the Wee School in reference to a business burglary. The officer met with the owner, who reported someone unknown entered her business between June 10 and June 12 and stole two DeWalt drills with battery chargers, two Ryobi batteries and chargers, a tool box containing ratchet sets, a Ryobi light with batteries, a pancake compressor with connectors, a small aluminum shop vacuum and a hand-held sander. The total value of the stolen property was in excess of $1,000. The owner added on June 13 the business was once again burglarized. The owner reported $300 in cash, two walkie talkie sets and a square credit card/chip card reader were stolen.

The affidavit continues that on June 19 an officer responded to the Wee School in reference to another business burglary. The owner explained how he installed a security video system because of the recent burglaries. The owner showed the officer a video of the suspect burglarizing the business. The owner reported $10 in cash and an Arlo security camera router were taken. The surveillance videos were collected and logged into evidence. Dickens was identified as a suspect.

The affidavit states on June 21 an officer met with Dickens. Dickens and the officer walked to Hawthorne Park in the 200 block of Ninth Avenue North where the officer conducted an interview. Dickens admitted he was a methamphetamine addict and admitted to committing four separate Wee School burglaries. Dickens admitted he accessed the business through a porch door and entered the business with the intent to steal property from within the business. Dickens admitted during the most recent burglary he stole cash, a drill battery, the security camera with router, a gallon of milk and a box of Oreo cereal. Dickens claimed he discarded the security camera with router in a sewer on Springdale Drive. The sewers were later checked but the security camera was not located.

The affidavit states the officer asked Dickens specifically about the iPad and HP laptop computer stolen on April 24. Dickens admitted he committed the burglary reported on April 24 and stole the iPad. Dickens said he saw the laptop computer next to the iPad but denied stealing the laptop. Dickens claimed he later dropped the iPad, breaking it and disposing of it in a dumpster in an unknown alley.

The affidavit continues that during the interview Dickens was carrying a Nike brand string backpack, which he was also carrying during the June 19 burglary. Dickens provided the officer consent to search his backpack after being advised of his right to refuse the search. Dickens was found in possession of methamphetamine and subsequently arrested.

Dickens was advised of his Miranda Rights, which he said he understood. Dickens was transported to the Clinton County Jail, where the officer continued the interview. Dickens admitted he stole a Next brand bicycle from within the Wee School attached garage. The stolen bicycle was later recovered outside Dickens’ mother’s apartment, hidden in the bushes. Dickens also admitted he stole socket sets, two walkie talkies, cash, a DeWalt battery, Beat brand headphones and a flashlight.

This Week's Circulars