The weather is warming up and we are spending more time outside. Possibly, less time in the kitchen. If you are considering picking up dinner for your family consider stopping by Hy-Vee. We’ve got options for a quick, healthy dinner.
Rotisserie chicken is the perfect solution to your mealtime dilemma. No need for defrosting and cooking. We’ve got warm, ready-to-eat chicken for your meal. When you get home, separate the meat from the bones while the chicken is still warm. Discard the skin to remove excess fat, then chop the meat into bite-sized pieces. Here are five quick and easy meal ideas using rotisserie chicken:
1. Asian chicken salad: Make a cheaper, healthier version of this restaurant salad with a bag of Hy-Vee coleslaw mix, fresh cilantro, red bell pepper, mandarin oranges, slivered almonds and shredded rotisserie chicken. Top with Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame dressing.
2. Go Greek: Stuff a whole grain pita pocket with green leaf lettuce, cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, shredded rotisserie chicken and a drizzle of Greek vinaigrette dressing.
3. Mix up Mexican: Build a chicken taco salad with lettuce, chopped rotisserie chicken, shredded cheese, black bean and corn salsa and sliced avocado. Serve with Food Should Taste Good multigrain tortilla chips.
4. BBQ sandwich: Top a whole grain hamburger bun with a mixture of warm, shredded rotisserie chicken and your favorite barbecue sauce. Fill the other half of your plate with fruits and veggies.
5. Fruity chicken salad: Mix together chopped rotisserie chicken, chopped celery, dried cranberries, slivered almonds and light mayonnaise. Serve on whole grain bread with lettuce leaves.
Another meal idea to go with your rotisserie chicken is to grab a bag of your family’s favorite frozen vegetables. Add pre-cut fruit and brown rice to your grocery cart and you’ve got a healthy meal. For more recipes, visit www.hy-vee.com.
For more information, contact your Clinton Hy-Vee Registered Dietitian. This information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.