MILLEDGEVILLE, Ill. — The ever-popular Children’s Farm will return to the Carroll County Fair this year.
The Farm will be open Aug. 8 through Aug. 11 during the following hours: Wednesday from 4 to 7:30 p.m.; Thursday from 11:30 to 7 p.m.; Friday from 4 to 7:30 p.m.; and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Children will have the opportunity to see and pet traditional farm animals and learn about what they eat, how big they get and what we use them for. They will also get to do six different farm chores such as picking apples, milking a cow, finding a “needle” in a hay stack, digging for potatoes, gathering eggs and scooping manure. After chores are completed, everyone gets to take home a fun pack of prizes and information.
The Children’s Farm will be located next to the 4-H Building. Be sure to stop by and see what’s happening down on the farm. For more information contact the University of Illinois Extension Office at (815) 244-9444 or Chas Welch at the Farm Bureau at (815) 244-3001.
Youths interested in 4-H can contact the local University of Illinois Extension office in Carroll County, or search for more information on-line at https://4h.extension.illinois.edu
Carroll County 4-H to Hold Set-up Night
Carroll County 4-H will meet at 6 p.m. Aug. 1 at the Milledgeville fairgrounds to help make the 4-H fair building shine. This will be a clean-up and set-up night for all 4-H’ers and 4-H families to get ready for the 4-H Fair. Some of the tasks include sweeping, moving the shelving, hanging the banners, cleaning the flower beds, and preparing the ice cream stand. Please bring items such as brooms, buckets, cleaning supplies, ladders, tools, leaf blowerS and shop vacuums. Everyone’s help is appreciated. Pizza will be provided by the 4-H Federation, so register by July 30 by contacting the Carroll County University of Illinois Extension Office at (815) 244-9444.
Carroll County 4-H Shows
It’s almost time for the Carroll County 4-H shows held at the Milledgeville Fairgrounds. The fair will be Aug. 2 and Aug. 4-11. 4-H’ers have been working throughout the year on their projects and are preparing to have them judged at the 4-H shows. The schedule for 4-H shows follows:
Thursday, Aug. 2
- 6:30 p.m., Clothing judging in the 4-H Building.
Saturday, Aug. 4
- 9 a.m., in the 4-H Building, general projects and foods judging, and Cloverbud exhibits. Projects will be displayed in the 4-H Exhibit Building across from the Hospitality Tent during the Carroll County Fair.
- 2 p.m. in the Pavilion, the introduction of the 2018-2019 4-H Ambassadors followed by Champion award presentations. A Cloverbud promotion will also be held. A meeting for 4-Hers selected to show at the State Fair will follow.
Sunday, Aug. 5
- 2:30 p.m. registration for Ag Olympics in front of the grandstand.
- 3 p.m. Ag Olympics.
- 3:30 p.m. Poultry judging in the Poultry Barn.
- 5 to 7 p.m., Hamburger Meal Deal by 4-H and Carroll Co. Livestock Feeders Association, in the 4-H Building. Cost is $5 for a hamburger, chips, cookie bar and a bottle of water. Come visit the building and see 4-H exhibits, Master Gardener display and silent auction baskets.
Monday, Aug. 6
- 8 a.m., Beef Breeding Judging, Beef Bucket Calf, Beef Feeding and Beef Carcass Class Awards.
- 9:30 a.m., Cat Judging – Pavilion.
- 1 a.m., Rabbit judging.
- 12:30 p.m., Sheep judging.
- 1:30 p.m., Goat judging.
- 3:30 p.m., Swine judging – east end of Poultry Barn.
- 5:30 to 7 p.m., Sandwich Supper for swine families and Livestock Auction bidders.
- 7 p.m., Livestock & Small Animal Auction – swine show ring.
Wednesday, Aug. 8
- 8:30 a.m. Horse & pony judging – 4-H Horse Arena (Rain date is Friday, Aug. 11).
Thursday, Aug. 9
- 9 a.m. Dairy judging – Dairy Ring.
Saturday, Aug. 11
- 7 to 8 p.m., All exhibits are released.
A visit to the 4-H Fair would not be complete without an ice cream treat from the 4-H Federation ice cream stand. The ice cream stand is located under the grandstand, and will be offering soft serve ice cream, sundaes and flurries.
Carroll County 4-H to Hold Silent Auction
A silent auction will be held in the 4-H Building during the Carroll County Fair at the Milledgeville Fairgrounds. A variety of theme baskets will be available for bids. They include Star Wars, Car Detailing, Family Fun Night, Games, Fishing, Gardening, Arts and Crafts, Scrapbooking, a Horse Starter Basket and more.
Silent auction bids will be taken up until 6 p.m. Aug. 11 in the 4-H Building. Lucky bidders can pick up their basket between 6 and 8 that night.
All proceeds from the auction will go to the Carroll County 4-H Federation. It will be used for educational programs, scholarships to leadership conferences, 4-H promotion and much more during the 4-H year.