Trevor Willis will fill the vacant Camanche City Council seat after winning the special election on Tuesday with 319 votes, defeating Charles Blount who had received 238 votes, according to unofficial results.
“I just want to help lead this city in the right direction and keep the citizens wants and needs in mind,” Willis said, following the results Tuesday night.
Willis won with 57.27 percent of the total 557 votes, leaving Blount with 42.73 percent of the votes. With 3,170 registered voters in Camanche the voter turnout remained relatively low at 17.57 percent.
Blount led the absentee votes with 28 votes over Willis’ 21 votes. A total of 49 absentee ballots were cast and 508 ballots were cast during Election Day. Willis led the Election Day votes with 298 votes over Blount with 210 votes. No write-in ballots were submitted.
Willis will fill the position that has been vacant since Eric Hosette left the City Council in December. He brings four years of experience as a Camanche city councilman from 2006-2010. Having helped get many of the recent big projects on their way, Willis says he looks forward to assist in their completion.
“I would like to help the city make decisions for the future and continue to help the city move forward,” Willis said.