DES MOINES (AP) — The family of former longtime Iowa Gov. Robert D. Ray has announced plans for his funeral.
The service will be at 1 p.m. Friday at First Christian Church in Des Moines. The ceremony will be streamed online.
Earlier in the week, Ray's body will lie in state at the Capitol. Ray will be brought to the Capitol at 5 p.m. Thursday, and his casket will be carried to the first floor rotunda by Iowa Air and Army Guard service members, Iowa State Patrol troopers and Des Moines police officers
Citizens can pay their respects between 5:30 and 8:30 p.m.
Ray died Sunday at age 89. He served 14 years as governor after his election in 1968 and was a former mayor of Des Moines and president of Drake University.
3rd inmate also gets 12 years for jail attack on 2 guards
BURLINGTON (AP) — A Missouri man already given a life sentence for murder in Iowa has given 12 years for attacking two guards in the Des Moines County Jail in Burlington.
Court records show 24-year-old Jorge Sanders-Galvez, of St. Louis, was sentenced Monday. He'd pleaded guilty to willful injury and to assault on a correctional officer.
Sanders-Galvez was given a life sentence for his role in killing a gender-fluid Burlington teenager, Kedarie Johnson.
The two officers were attacked Dec. 10 by Sanders-Galvez and two other inmates. Court records say the two other inmates, Earl Booth-Harris and Bobby Morris, also pleaded guilty. Each also was given to 12 years.
Booth-Harris is serving a life sentence in a different slaying.
Man's trial in mother's slaying moving out of Marion County
KNOXVILLE (AP) — The trial of a man accused of killing his mother will be moved out of Marion County in south-central Iowa.
On Monday a judge granted a motion filed by 45-year-old Jason Carter that said he couldn't get a fair trial because of publicity surrounding the case. The new trial location has yet to be selected.
In December, Carter was charged with first-degree murder, accused of fatally shooting 68-year-old Shirley Carter in June 2015 in the kitchen of her rural home. The charges were filed two days after a jury found him civilly liable. The jury ordered him to pay $10 million to his mother's estate.
Bill Carter had sued his son for wrongful death. The elder man said his son was financially strapped and killed Shirley Carter to gain access to his parents' $10 million in assets. Jason Carter has denied that.
Lake protecting Des Moines crests well under capacity
DES MOINES (AP) — Downstream residents can breathe a little easier, now that the water level is dropping in the reservoir that protects Des Moines from Des Moines River flooding.
Dayne Magneson is assistant operations project manager for Saylorville Lake, and he said Tuesday that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers lake crested overnight less than 4 feet below full, reaching around 89.5 percent of capacity. He says the level was the sixth highest in the lake's 41-year history.
He says the figures are allowing officials to let loose "a minor sigh of relief." Magneson also says the water will drop slowly on its way to the normal level of 11.5 percent of capacity.
Iowa prosecutor to be reinstated despite 'egregious' conduct
KEOSAUQUA (AP) — An Iowa prosecutor who faced sexual harassment allegations that the state Supreme Court described as "egregious conduct" announced Tuesday he intends to resume his duties weeks after the all-male court ordered him reinstated.
Abraham Watkins apologized for his past conduct during a news conference at the law office in his home in Keosauqua, a town in southeast Iowa with a population of about 900. He said he intends to resume public service in the coming days.
The Iowa Supreme Court last month found Watkins shouldn't have been removed as Van Buren County attorney in January 2017 despite allegations that included commenting on an employee's breasts, repeatedly appearing in underwear in his home office and displaying nude photos of his wife. In a 4-3 ruling, the court found the "morally reprehensible" behavior wasn't enough to remove an elected official.
Watkins said Tuesday that he was taking responsibility for what he described as "careless behavior" and said he didn't realize the effect his words and actions had on other people.
"I definitely could have acted better," Watkins said. "I make no excuse for my carelessness. This is a straight-up apology, and I firmly resolve to not commit these errors again."
Watkins said he hasn't decided whether to seek re-election this fall. Former Van Buren County Attorney Craig Miller is the only person running so far. Watkins must decide in August whether to join the race.
Asked whether he had public support, Watkins said he doesn't believe his actions have called into question his ability to practice law. He said he has good relationships with local officials and judges.
"I want to finish what I started," Watkins said. "I'm just going to do my job and do what's right."
Watkins said his family has moved out of the house where he practices law, although he still sometimes lives there. He said he hasn't determined whether the county attorney's office will return to his home office or remain at the courthouse, which is also in Keosauqua. Van Buren County has a population of about 7,200 people.
Mark Meek, chairman of the Van Buren County Board of Supervisors, said the interim county attorney and deputy attorney resigned after the Supreme Court decision. Jefferson County Attorney Tim Dille is assisting with cases until Watkins returns to the office.