A tunnel designed to smuggle drugs from Tijuana, Mexico, to San Diego is equipped with electricity, ventilation and a rail system, U.S. authorities said Thursday. The tunnel was discovered on Wednesday, and three suspects are in custody.
- National News
- Tech companies lash out at gov. snooping WASHINGTON -- Silicon Valley is escalating pressure on President Barack Obama to curb the U.S. government surveillance programs that vacuum personal information off the Internet and threaten the technology industry's financial livelihood. A coalition
- Congress ready to extend ban on plastic firearms WASHINGTON -- A Senate vote to renew an expiring ban on plastic firearms capable of evading metal detectors and X-ray machines is shaping up as a bittersweet moment for gun control supporters, days before the anniversary of the deadly mass shooting a
Human trafficking battled by text message
A few months ago, a worker monitoring a hotline for the Polaris Project, a nonprofit group dedicated to combating human trafficking, received a text message from an 18-year-old woman in distress.
Should Detroit sell its priceless art to pay the bills?
A federal judge ruled Dec. 3 that Detroit met the conditions for Chapter 9 bankruptcy. Now a question that's been simmering for months is coming to a boil: Should the Detroit Institute of Arts - one of the country's finest art museums and perhaps the city's greatest cultural asset - sell some or all of its collection to satisfy creditors?
Colleges bring liberal arts education into prisons
The men would eat, study, sleep, wake up and work, as they must, inside a prison complex surrounded by high fences and coils of barbed wire. Their campus is the Maryland Correctional Institution-Jessup. No ivory towers here. Just guard towers.
- Obama: Chances for final Iran deal 50-50 or worse WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama said Saturday he believed the chances for a comprehensive nuclear agreement with Iran are 50-50 or worse, yet defended diplomacy as the best way to prevent Tehran from acquiring atomic weapons. During a question-a
- Democrats push Obama nominees WASHINGTON -- Fresh from shackling the traditional blocking ability of the Senate's minority party, Democrats are ready to muscle through President Barack Obama's nominees for pivotal judgeships and other top jobs. Despite last month's Democratic pow
- Iowa insurer pokes fun at federal website in ads
- Storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey PHILADELPHIA -- A plodding storm that dumped heavy snow on the unsuspecting Mid-Atlantic region threatened to make roads dicey in the northeast corridor for today's commute while travel disruptions continued to ripple across the country days after th
- Young newlyweds charged with Craigslist murder
- More National News Headlines