Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
1. THE WORST MAY BE OVER
New census numbers suggest that the U.S. economy has bottomed out.
2. ESTIMATE FOR HEALTH CARE PENALTY RISES SIGNIFICANTLY
Analysts now say about 6 million Americans will face a tax penalty for not carrying medical coverage in 2016.
3. JUSTICE DEPARTMENT FAULTED OVER FAST AND FURIOUS
More than a dozen people face possible disciplinary action for the bungled gun-trafficking probe in Arizona.
4. EXTREMISTS, FOREIGN FIGHTERS ON THE RISE IN SYRIA
Conflict's evolution into open war has attracted infiltrators to the front lines.
5. AN APPEAL FOR A STRONGER STAND AGAINST VIOLENCE
After attacks by vandals on Christian holy sites in Israel, normally tight-lipped Roman Catholic officials are beginning to speak out.
6. ARCTIC ICE SHRINKS TO ALL-TIME LOW
Scientists say global warming is to blame for an ice cap 18 percent smaller than the previous record.
7. WHEEEE! TURNS TO UH-OH
Stuck on a California amusement park attraction, riders dangle 300 feet in the air for nearly four hours.
8. FOREIGN FILMS WELCOME — EXCEPT FROM THE U.S.
An international film festival opens today in what may seem the unlikeliest of places: North Korea.
9. SHAKIRA PREGNANT WITH HER FIRST CHILD
The Grammy-winning singer says she and her soccer-player boyfriend "are very happy" awaiting the birth.
10. HOW ODDSMAKERS VIEW THE NFL'S REPLACEMENT REFS
Las Vegas casinos are betting that this weekend's games will be the highest-scoring ever — thanks to the league's fill-in officials.