Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
1. BEFORE RAPE-PREGNANCY UPROAR, AKIN HAD LOW PROFILE
The Missouri congressman and his wife home-schooled their six children; in the House, he's always been an outsider.
2. INMATES AND THEIR KEEPERS ACCUSED IN DRUG RING
Indictment says guards smuggled in cellphones that prisoners used to coordinate meth and heroin operation.
3. MICHELLE OBAMA VISITS SIKH TEMPLE WHERE SIX WERE KILLED
Her early afternoon visit builds on an outpouring of support for the worshippers from around the world.
4. HOW AN EARTHQUAKE SHOOK UP EAST COAST RESPONSE PLANS
A year after a magnitude-5.8 tremor rocked the region, state officials have revisited emergency preparedness policies.
5. WHY 'NONE OF THE ABOVE' WON'T BE ON NEVADA BALLOT
A judge says the option's invalid because it wouldn't count in the tallies that determine winners.
6. BATTLE POSSIBLE OVER SEAL'S BOOK ON BIN LADEN RAID
U.S. military says it doesn't believe "No Easy Day," a first-hand account, has been cleared by the Pentagon.
7. OBAMA SAYS AKIN 'SOMEHOW MISSED SCIENCE CLASS'
The president uses the congressman's "legitimate rape" comment to argue that some people have a "desire to go backwards."
8. IF YOU COULD WALK WITH THE ANIMALS
You nearly can at the Philadelphia Zoo, where apes travel on protected paths above their human visitors.
9. ISLANDERS GET READY FOR TROPICAL STORMS
Haiti and the Dominican Republic await Isaac as it approaches hurricane strength while Taiwan braces for Typhoon Tembin.
10. ON THE MARKET: JEFFREY DAHMER'S CHILDHOOD HOME
The house — offered for $329,000 in Bath, Ohio — is where the serial killer murdered his first of 17 victims.