- National News
Record crowds over weekend, but spending declined
Retailers got Americans into stores during the start to the holiday shopping season. Now, they'll need to figure out how to get them to actually shop.
Gov't diagnosis: HealthCare.gov on the mend
Computer crashes should be giving way to insurance coverage — if the government's diagnosis of its health care website is correct.
- U.S. kicks off holiday shopping The holiday shopping season started as a marathon, not a sprint. More than a dozen major retailers from Target to Toys R Us opened for 24 hours or more on Thanksgiving Day through Black Friday, the traditional start to the holiday shopping period. As
- Latinos want U.S. to sue over LA supervisors' board The Associated Press WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration is aggressively pursuing lawsuits over minority voting rights in Texas and North Carolina, but the Justice Department has not moved on evidence that the latest round of redistricting in Los
- Park Service withdraws comments on fracking rule
Why holiday sales could ride on lower gas prices
No one begs Santa Claus for cheaper gasoline. Yet falling gas prices are shaping up as an unexpected gift for drivers — and for people on their holiday shopping lists.
Affidavit describes chilling rape, murder of teacher
Frightening details of the rape and slaying of a popular high school teacher were made public Friday upon release of a search warrant affidavit in the puzzling case. A 14-year-old student in the teacher's math class has been charged with her murder.
- Somber nation marks 50th anniversary JAMIE STENGLE andStrokeStyle/$ID/Japanese Dots NOMAAN MERCHANT Associated Press DALLAS -- From a street in downtown Dallas to the shores of Cape Cod, a somber nation paused Friday to remember John F. Kennedy 50 years after the young, handsome presid
- North Korea confirms it's holding American WASHINGTON (AP) -- The State Department said Friday that North Korea acknowledges it is holding an American citizen but hasn't granted diplomats consular access so the person's identity is not yet confirmed. Expectation is that it will be Merrill New
Videos, blogs, maps and more detailing memories of the day that shook America — November 22, 1963.
- More National News Headlines
- Record crowds over weekend, but spending declined