- National News
- Court to weigh challenge to ban WASHINGTON (AP) -- As political campaigns begin to heat up, the Supreme Court is deciding whether false accusations and mudslinging made during an election can be punished as a crime. Addressing an issue of negative campaigning that now may be a fact
Police: Utah woman gave birth at home
A Utah woman accused of concealing seven pregnancies before strangling or suffocating her newborns gave birth each time in her home, authorities said Wednesday.
Investigators have determined that Megan Huntsman, 39, did not go to a hospital to have the babies, Pleasant Grove Police Capt. Mike Roberts said. He didn't say if anybody helped her give birth.
Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
Classes resumed Wednesday at a Pittsburgh-area high school where authorities said a student stabbed or slashed 21 others and a security guard a week ago while rampaging through a hallway with two kitchen knives.
Before school began, some students gathered at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday on the football field behind Franklin Regional High School to pray and to support one another.
Victimized by the 'marriage penalty'
In a few short months, I'll pass the milestone that every little girl dreams of: the day she swears - before family and God, in sickness and in health, all in the name of love - that she's willing to pay a much higher tax rate.
10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Police: GPS helped solve, didn't deter Calif. killings SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) -- GPS technology helped police link two convicted sex offenders to the rapes and killings of at least four women in California, but the mother of one victim said Tuesday that the monitoring system should have done more to prev
- T. rex gets new home in Smithsonian WASHINGTON -- More than 100 years after dinosaurs were first displayed on the National Mall, T. rex -- the king -- is joining the Smithsonian collection after a 2,000-mile journey from Montana. Paleontologists and curators unveiled parts of a nearly
- Medical pot measure could boost Florida Democrats MIAMI -- Tied to an unpopular president and his signature health care law, Democrats in the nation's largest swing state see medical marijuana as a potential antidote to political malaise in this year's midterm elections. Party operatives are pushing
- Old Social Security debts get reprieved WASHINGTON -- People with old Social Security debts are getting a reprieve -- for now. The Social Security Administration had been participating in a program in which thousands of people were having their tax refunds seized to recoup overpayments tha
Tax deduction for a gym membership?
April marks another tax season when millions of Americans will deduct expenses related to home ownership, children and education from their annual tax bill. These deductions exist because of their perceived value to society; they encourage behaviors that keep the wheels of the economy turning. So why shouldn't the tax code be revised to reward preventive health?
- More National News Headlines