- National News
Struck by rock thrown from overpass, mom fights for life
DANVILLE, Pa. — A 52-year-old Uniontown, Ohio, mother of four fought for her life in a hospital Monday as a result of a rock thrown from a highway overpass that shattered the windshield of the family car during a trip to New York City.Authorities hav
- Officials try healthier cafeteria options BOSTON — Bean burgers, peanut butter substitutes and pre-sliced vegetable packets were on the menu Monday as school lunchroom managers from around the country sampled offerings in a hunt for fare that will meet stricter health mandates — without turn
- California man catches 482-pound halibut in Alaska SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A California man hooked the catch of a lifetime while on vacation in Alaska.The Orange County Register reports Friday 76-year-old Jack McGuire of Santa Ana caught a 482-pound Pacific halibut.McGuire struggled for 40 minutes b
- Sidewalk memorial honors cop killer JERSEY CITY, N.J. — A day after a rookie police officer was gunned down in an ambush, mourners came to pay their respects at a makeshift memorial with candles, balloons, empty liquor bottles and messages of love from friends scrawled on T-shirts tape
- Plane's swastika banner spurs criticism around NYC NEW YORK (AP) — A banner aiming to change people’s minds about what swastikas stand for has stirred outrage after it flew over beaches in New York City and on Long Island.Some beachgoers were appalled and officials fielded complaints after a plane to
Citigroup to pay $7B in subprime mortgages probe
Citigroup agreed Monday to pay $7 billion to settle a federal investigation into its handling of risky subprime mortgages, admitting to a pattern of deception that Attorney General Eric Holder said "shattered lives" and contributed to the worst financial crisis in decades.
World Bank: Tackling Climate Will Grow the Economy
Fighting climate change would help grow the world economy, according to the World Bank, adding up to $2.6 trillion a year to global GDP in the coming decades.
US jails struggle with role as makeshift asylums
The numbers, posted daily on the Cook County sheriff's website, would be alarming at an urgent care clinic, let alone a jail: On a Wednesday, 36 percent of all new arrivals report having a mental illness. On a Friday, it's 54 percent.
Democrats get help from Massachusetts Sen. Warren
Sen. Elizabeth Warren is quickly becoming a top Democratic fundraiser and campaign powerhouse, hitting the road on behalf of candidates in key races the party will need to win to retain control of the U.S. Senate in November.
Airmen laid to rest back home in Indiana 6 decades after death
Unchecked tears rolled down Paul Martin’s lined face as he clutched the hand of an Air Force servicewoman who handed him a handwritten note at the graveside service for his older brother.
- More National News Headlines
- Struck by rock thrown from overpass, mom fights for life