- National News
Fired coach unjustly accused of visiting porn sites
Minnesota State University-Mankato officials wrongly accused former football coach Todd Hoffner of viewing pornography sites on his work computer before firing him last May, a state arbitrator has disclosed.
Obamas pay $98,169 in taxes on income of $481,098
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama paid $98,169 in taxes on $481,098 income last year, according to tax returns the White House released Friday. They paid an effective federal income tax rate of 20.4 percent.
The couple's 2013 federal income tax return was posted on the White House website four days before the tax filing deadline.
Millions of Android phones, tablets vulnerable to Heartbleed bug
Millions of smartphones and tablets running Google's Android operating system have the Heartbleed software bug, in a sign of how broadly the flaw extends beyond the Web and into consumer devices.
4 years after spill, questions on long-term health
When a BP oil well began gushing crude into the Gulf of Mexico four years ago, fisherman George Barisich used his boat to help clean up the millions of gallons that spewed in what would become the worst offshore spill in U.S. history.
Like so many Gulf Coast residents who pitched in after the April 20, 2010, explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig, Barisich was motivated by a desire to help and a need to make money — the oil had destroyed his livelihood.
VIDEO: Northern California bus crash kills 10
At least nine people died in Northern California on Thursday night, in an accident involving a bus, a car and FedEx truck. The bus was filled with high school students from Southern California who were on their way to visit a college campus.
10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Shoe thrown at Clinton during speech LAS VEGAS -- A woman was taken into federal custody Thursday after throwing a shoe at Hillary Clinton as the former Secretary of State began a Las Vegas convention keynote speech. The incident happened moments after Clinton took the stage before an I
- Bogus tax refunds a growing problem WASHINGTON, D.C. -- An Internet connection and a bunch of stolen identities are all it takes for crooks to collect billions of dollars in bogus federal tax refunds. And the scam is proving too pervasive to stop. A government report in November said t
- Judge says flashing headlights free speech GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Hauling a truckload of logs to a Southern Oregon mill last fall, Chris Hill noticed a sheriff's deputy behind him and flashed his lights to warn a UPS driver coming the other way. The deputy pulled over Hill on U.S. Highway 140 i
Kathleen Sebelius resigning from top HHS post
Embattled Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is resigning as the White House seeks to move past the election-year political damage inflicted by the rocky rollout of President Barack Obama's signature health care law.
- More National News Headlines
- Fired coach unjustly accused of visiting porn sites