- National News
World Bank: Tackling Climate Will Grow the Economy
Fighting climate change would help grow the world economy, according to the World Bank, adding up to $2.6 trillion a year to global GDP in the coming decades.
US jails struggle with role as makeshift asylums
The numbers, posted daily on the Cook County sheriff's website, would be alarming at an urgent care clinic, let alone a jail: On a Wednesday, 36 percent of all new arrivals report having a mental illness. On a Friday, it's 54 percent.
Democrats get help from Massachusetts Sen. Warren
Sen. Elizabeth Warren is quickly becoming a top Democratic fundraiser and campaign powerhouse, hitting the road on behalf of candidates in key races the party will need to win to retain control of the U.S. Senate in November.
Airmen laid to rest back home in Indiana 6 decades after death
Unchecked tears rolled down Paul Martin’s lined face as he clutched the hand of an Air Force servicewoman who handed him a handwritten note at the graveside service for his older brother.
10 things to know for today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- Workers struggle in Hamptons, playground for rich SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. — This is a town where people are so rich that a $2 million home can be a handyman’s special. A town where the thrift shop is stocked with donations of designer dresses and handbags.But Southampton, with its privet hedges, pristine
- His agenda in gridlock, Obama relishes roadshow WASHINGTON, D.C. — Welcome to Barack Obama’s split-screen presidency.On one side: a confident Obama making campaign-style stops around the country and ridiculing his political opponents to the delight of cheering supporters. On the other side: an inc
- Driver of stalled pickup finds slithering surprise SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — When a woman’s pickup stalled on a street in Santa Fe, New Mexico, local chef Jackson Ault stopped to lend a hand.Ault and the driver both ended up with a surprise Thursday when Ault popped the hood and found a brown and yellow
- Morgan released from rehab month after crash TRENTON, N.J. — Former “Saturday Night Live” star Tracy Morgan has been released from a rehabilitation facility as he heals from serious injuries he suffered in a car crash that left a fellow comedian dead, his spokesman said Saturday.Morgan will con
- Governors group skirts 'radioactive' Core issue NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Reviled by staunch conservatives, the common education standards designed to improve schools and student competitiveness are being modified by some Republican governors, who are pushing back against what they call the federal
- More National News Headlines
- World Bank: Tackling Climate Will Grow the Economy