IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
Jimmy “JJ” Burkhart, 64, found peace Saturday, October 6, following a valiant fight with cancer.
Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, October 11, 2012, at Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service, Iowa City, with the Rev. Mike Nelson officiating. Visitation will be Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be at Memory Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to Iowa City Hospice.
Jimmy was born May 27, 1948, in Niles, Michigan, the son of Robert and Opal Kauffman Burkhart. He was a 1966 graduate of City High School. Following a 19-year engagement, he married Barb “Bubba” Lee on December 24, 1996, in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Jimmy spent his entire career in the Floor Covering business. He owned and operated Burkhart Flooring for many years and in 2007, he and Todd Zeman established Hawkeye Carpet and Vinyl.
Jimmy had a great sense of humor and sarcasm. He was down to earth and easy going, but liked order in his life. Most important was his love of family, friends and his dogs, Petey and Freddie Mae. He enjoyed his time at Plamor Lanes, Blackstone, golfing, gambling (especially his trips to Tunica), listening to the music of “Meatloaf” and watching the Iowa Hawkeyes. Throughout his illness Jimmy was a true warrior.
Survivors his beloved wife and friend, Barb “Bubba”; his three children and seven grandchildren, Todd (Carmen) Hesseltine of Cedar Rapids and their son, Jackson, Jennie (Mark) Evans of Iowa City and their children, Andrew, Maeghan, Colin and Owen, and Casey (Nicki) Hesseltine of Rochester, Iowa and their children Mitchell and Kylie; his sister, Sandi (Rick) Gustafson of Clinton and his brother, Steve (Adrie) Burkhart of San Jose; in laws, Steve (Sandy) Lee of Solon; nieces and nephews. Daniel (Jamee), Amanda, (Dan), Addie (Pepe), Jesse, Scott(Becky) and Jennifer; his former spouse, Ruth Hesseltine of Iowa City; and many special friends. He will be greatly missed by all.
Jimmy was preceded in death by his parents and his beloved dogs.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.lensingfuneral.com.
Death date: Oct. 6, 2012
IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines