IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
Jimmy “JJ” Burkhart, 64, found peace Saturday, October 6, following a valiant fight with cancer.
Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, October 11, 2012, at Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service, Iowa City, with the Rev. Mike Nelson officiating. Visitation will be Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be at Memory Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to Iowa City Hospice.
Jimmy was born May 27, 1948, in Niles, Michigan, the son of Robert and Opal Kauffman Burkhart. He was a 1966 graduate of City High School. Following a 19-year engagement, he married Barb “Bubba” Lee on December 24, 1996, in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Jimmy spent his entire career in the Floor Covering business. He owned and operated Burkhart Flooring for many years and in 2007, he and Todd Zeman established Hawkeye Carpet and Vinyl.
Jimmy had a great sense of humor and sarcasm. He was down to earth and easy going, but liked order in his life. Most important was his love of family, friends and his dogs, Petey and Freddie Mae. He enjoyed his time at Plamor Lanes, Blackstone, golfing, gambling (especially his trips to Tunica), listening to the music of “Meatloaf” and watching the Iowa Hawkeyes. Throughout his illness Jimmy was a true warrior.
Survivors his beloved wife and friend, Barb “Bubba”; his three children and seven grandchildren, Todd (Carmen) Hesseltine of Cedar Rapids and their son, Jackson, Jennie (Mark) Evans of Iowa City and their children, Andrew, Maeghan, Colin and Owen, and Casey (Nicki) Hesseltine of Rochester, Iowa and their children Mitchell and Kylie; his sister, Sandi (Rick) Gustafson of Clinton and his brother, Steve (Adrie) Burkhart of San Jose; in laws, Steve (Sandy) Lee of Solon; nieces and nephews. Daniel (Jamee), Amanda, (Dan), Addie (Pepe), Jesse, Scott(Becky) and Jennifer; his former spouse, Ruth Hesseltine of Iowa City; and many special friends. He will be greatly missed by all.
Jimmy was preceded in death by his parents and his beloved dogs.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.lensingfuneral.com.
Death date: Oct. 6, 2012
IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines