IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
Jimmy “JJ” Burkhart, 64, found peace Saturday, October 6, following a valiant fight with cancer.
Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, October 11, 2012, at Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service, Iowa City, with the Rev. Mike Nelson officiating. Visitation will be Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be at Memory Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to Iowa City Hospice.
Jimmy was born May 27, 1948, in Niles, Michigan, the son of Robert and Opal Kauffman Burkhart. He was a 1966 graduate of City High School. Following a 19-year engagement, he married Barb “Bubba” Lee on December 24, 1996, in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Jimmy spent his entire career in the Floor Covering business. He owned and operated Burkhart Flooring for many years and in 2007, he and Todd Zeman established Hawkeye Carpet and Vinyl.
Jimmy had a great sense of humor and sarcasm. He was down to earth and easy going, but liked order in his life. Most important was his love of family, friends and his dogs, Petey and Freddie Mae. He enjoyed his time at Plamor Lanes, Blackstone, golfing, gambling (especially his trips to Tunica), listening to the music of “Meatloaf” and watching the Iowa Hawkeyes. Throughout his illness Jimmy was a true warrior.
Survivors his beloved wife and friend, Barb “Bubba”; his three children and seven grandchildren, Todd (Carmen) Hesseltine of Cedar Rapids and their son, Jackson, Jennie (Mark) Evans of Iowa City and their children, Andrew, Maeghan, Colin and Owen, and Casey (Nicki) Hesseltine of Rochester, Iowa and their children Mitchell and Kylie; his sister, Sandi (Rick) Gustafson of Clinton and his brother, Steve (Adrie) Burkhart of San Jose; in laws, Steve (Sandy) Lee of Solon; nieces and nephews. Daniel (Jamee), Amanda, (Dan), Addie (Pepe), Jesse, Scott(Becky) and Jennifer; his former spouse, Ruth Hesseltine of Iowa City; and many special friends. He will be greatly missed by all.
Jimmy was preceded in death by his parents and his beloved dogs.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.lensingfuneral.com.
Death date: Oct. 6, 2012
IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
- Glen Whiting Glen Whiting Aug. 17, 1931 - Dec. 2, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Glen Whiting lived his life to care for his family, friends and country. He put them first, adhereing to the motto of his 2nd Infantry Battalion in Korea, "Second to None". At the age of 82,
- Zachary 'Zac' T. Isenhart CHADWICK, Ill. -- Zachary "Zac" T. Isenhart, 25, of Chadwick, died Tuesday, Nov. 26, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of life gathering will be held from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013 at the C
- Mickey Joe Hahn Mickey Joe Hahn April 16, 1950 - Dec. 2, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. - Mickey Joe Hahn, 63 of Morrison died Monday December 2, 2013 at Morrison Community Hospital. He was born on April 16, 1950 in Sterling, the son of Leonard and Mary (Miller) Hahn and was
- Jeane A. Housenga Jeane A. Housenga Dec. 20, 1935 - Nov. 23, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Jeane A. Housenga, 77, of Harbor Crest Nursing Home in Fulton, died Saturday, Nov. 23, at Harbor Crest Nursing Home. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held
- Carl Huffman Maquoketa Carl Huffman Carl Huffman, 75, of Maqoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. Further arrangements are pending with the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Sandra L. Jones Sandra L. Jones Dec. 6, 1955 - Dec. 2, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Sandra L. Jones, 57, of Fulton, died Monday, December 2, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, December 6, 2013 at the Albany Uni
- Harlo Henningsen Harlo Henningsen Jan. 19, 1959 - Dec. 1, 2013 BETTENDORF -- Harlo Henningsen, 54, of Bettendorf, died suddenly on Sunday, December 1, 2013 at Trinity Unity Point in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Saturday, December 7, 2013
- Veronica C. Determan Veronica C. Determan July 8, 1917 - Dec. 3, 2013 PRESTON -- Veronica C. Determan, age 96, of Preston, Iowa died Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at the Alverno in Clinton, Iowa. A Funeral Mass will be held 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 6, 2013 at St. Joseph
- Alfonso "Al" Antonio Cantu Jr. ELIZABETH, Ill. -- Alfonso "Al" Antonio Cantu Jr., 74, of Mt. Carroll, Ill. died Saturday, at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Ill. A memorial service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, at Law-Jones Funeral Home, 107 N. Main Street, Elizabeth. B
- Mary Knox Clinton Mary Knox Mary Knox, 85, of Clinton, died Tuesday, at The Alverno. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Home. Mary Knox
- More Obituaries Headlines