Cedar Rapids —
July 28, 1911-Oct. 11, 2012
CEDAR RAPIDS — Alvina Knutson, 101, of Cedar Rapids passed away on October 11, 2012 at St. Luke’s Hospital.
Services will be held on Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Cedar Memorial Funeral Park Funeral Home. Burial to follow at Cedar Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at Cedar Memorial Westside Chapel.
Alvina is survived by her seven children: daughter, Peggy Shonka (Dan) of Cedar Rapids; and sons, Ted (Sharon), John (Virginia), both of Cedar Rapids, Tom (Peg) of Marion, Joe (Carla) of Cedar Rapids, Bob (Georgia) of Clinton, and Don of Fairfield, Ohio; 18 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Truman; five sisters, Pauline, Freda, Christine, Lydia, and Margaret; four brothers, Gus, Jake, John and David; and her parents.
Alvina was born on July 28, 1911, near Turtle Lake, North Dakota, to Margaret and David Schlichenmayer. She married Truman Knutson on September 3, 1939. He passed away on December 23, 1987. As a teenager and before getting married, Alvina worked as a maid and a nanny. She attended State Teachers College in Valley City, North Dakota, and taught school for two years in a one-room schoolhouse. She also worked for 15 years in the Jefferson High School cafeteria. Alvina was a member of the Ellis Park Church of God.
She will be fondly remembered as a great cook who wanted nothing more than to feed whoever came to her home. Even if you weren’t hungry, you quickly learned to graciously accept her offer of food or drink as she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Besides cooking, she enjoyed reading, doing puzzles, picnics, playing Kings in the Corner, being outdoors and most of all just being with her family. She always thought of others before herself and never had a bad word to say about anyone. She never complained, never uttered a cuss word, and will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her. With the help of her children, she was able to remain in her own home of 51 years until the very end.
Please leave a message to Alvina’s family on the web page at www.cedarmemorial.com under obituaries.
Death date: Oct. 11, 2012
Cedar Rapids —
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines