Cedar Rapids —
July 28, 1911-Oct. 11, 2012
CEDAR RAPIDS — Alvina Knutson, 101, of Cedar Rapids passed away on October 11, 2012 at St. Luke’s Hospital.
Services will be held on Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Cedar Memorial Funeral Park Funeral Home. Burial to follow at Cedar Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at Cedar Memorial Westside Chapel.
Alvina is survived by her seven children: daughter, Peggy Shonka (Dan) of Cedar Rapids; and sons, Ted (Sharon), John (Virginia), both of Cedar Rapids, Tom (Peg) of Marion, Joe (Carla) of Cedar Rapids, Bob (Georgia) of Clinton, and Don of Fairfield, Ohio; 18 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Truman; five sisters, Pauline, Freda, Christine, Lydia, and Margaret; four brothers, Gus, Jake, John and David; and her parents.
Alvina was born on July 28, 1911, near Turtle Lake, North Dakota, to Margaret and David Schlichenmayer. She married Truman Knutson on September 3, 1939. He passed away on December 23, 1987. As a teenager and before getting married, Alvina worked as a maid and a nanny. She attended State Teachers College in Valley City, North Dakota, and taught school for two years in a one-room schoolhouse. She also worked for 15 years in the Jefferson High School cafeteria. Alvina was a member of the Ellis Park Church of God.
She will be fondly remembered as a great cook who wanted nothing more than to feed whoever came to her home. Even if you weren’t hungry, you quickly learned to graciously accept her offer of food or drink as she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Besides cooking, she enjoyed reading, doing puzzles, picnics, playing Kings in the Corner, being outdoors and most of all just being with her family. She always thought of others before herself and never had a bad word to say about anyone. She never complained, never uttered a cuss word, and will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her. With the help of her children, she was able to remain in her own home of 51 years until the very end.
Please leave a message to Alvina’s family on the web page at www.cedarmemorial.com under obituaries.
Death date: Oct. 11, 2012
Cedar Rapids —
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines