Cedar Rapids —
July 28, 1911-Oct. 11, 2012
CEDAR RAPIDS — Alvina Knutson, 101, of Cedar Rapids passed away on October 11, 2012 at St. Luke’s Hospital.
Services will be held on Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Cedar Memorial Funeral Park Funeral Home. Burial to follow at Cedar Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at Cedar Memorial Westside Chapel.
Alvina is survived by her seven children: daughter, Peggy Shonka (Dan) of Cedar Rapids; and sons, Ted (Sharon), John (Virginia), both of Cedar Rapids, Tom (Peg) of Marion, Joe (Carla) of Cedar Rapids, Bob (Georgia) of Clinton, and Don of Fairfield, Ohio; 18 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Truman; five sisters, Pauline, Freda, Christine, Lydia, and Margaret; four brothers, Gus, Jake, John and David; and her parents.
Alvina was born on July 28, 1911, near Turtle Lake, North Dakota, to Margaret and David Schlichenmayer. She married Truman Knutson on September 3, 1939. He passed away on December 23, 1987. As a teenager and before getting married, Alvina worked as a maid and a nanny. She attended State Teachers College in Valley City, North Dakota, and taught school for two years in a one-room schoolhouse. She also worked for 15 years in the Jefferson High School cafeteria. Alvina was a member of the Ellis Park Church of God.
She will be fondly remembered as a great cook who wanted nothing more than to feed whoever came to her home. Even if you weren’t hungry, you quickly learned to graciously accept her offer of food or drink as she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Besides cooking, she enjoyed reading, doing puzzles, picnics, playing Kings in the Corner, being outdoors and most of all just being with her family. She always thought of others before herself and never had a bad word to say about anyone. She never complained, never uttered a cuss word, and will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her. With the help of her children, she was able to remain in her own home of 51 years until the very end.
Please leave a message to Alvina’s family on the web page at www.cedarmemorial.com under obituaries.
Death date: Oct. 11, 2012
Cedar Rapids —
- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, died Thursday, at her home. Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory with Rev. Chris Minor-Heilig officiating. Burial will be in
- Robert Petersen Clinton Robert Petersen Robert Petersen, 84, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Leslie C. Chandler Clinton Leslie C. Chandler Leslie C. Chandler, 89, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes South Chapel.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday, Mercy Medical Center North. A funeral Mass will be 1 p.m. Saturday at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial visitation will be Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Clint
- Carl Junior Anderson Carl Junior Anderson Oct. 19, 2013 - Dec. 5, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Carl Junior Anderson loved his country, veterans and collecting and shooting his guns. He died at age 73 in Thomson, Illinois, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at his home surrounded by hi
- Madonna Finch Clinton Madonna Finch Madonna Finch, 80, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Nora Glazier LYNDON, Ill. -- Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Morrison Chapel of the
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- More Obituaries Headlines