January 6, 1933 - September 25, 2012
Conrad Joseph Grundmeyer, age 79, of Sabula, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Tuesday, September 25, 2012, at Mercy Living Center North, Clinton, Iowa.
A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 1, 2012, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as Celebrant. Burial will be held at 3:30 p.m. Monday in the St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery, Manchester, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday, September 30, 2012, at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston, Iowa, with a Scripture wake service held at 6:15 p.m. A memorial fund has been established in Conrad’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be shared with the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Conrad was born on January 6, 1933, the son of Anton and Dorothy (Kurtenbach) Grundmeyer in Raeville, Nebraska. He graduated from Dundee High School with the class of 1951. Conrad proudly served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War. Conrad was united in marriage to Mary Patricia Thurm on June 12, 1957, in Manchester, Iowa. Mary passed away on December 23, 2011, in Clinton, Iowa.
Conrad began his career with the United States Postal Service in May of 1957 as a mail carrier in Manchester. He carried mail in Manchester until January of 1974 when he was transferred to Sabula, Iowa. Conrad started as a mail carrier and was quickly promoted to the Postmaster of Sabula in June of 1974. He served as Postmaster until retiring in October of 1992. Upon retiring, Conrad drove a school bus for East Central Schools and did “Handy Work” for several people in Sabula. He enjoyed western movies, baseball and loved the outdoors, especially trapping and fishing. Conrad even learned to downhill ski in Colorado at the age of 52. Conrad was a member of the Isaac Walton League and of the former St. Peter Catholic Church, Sabula. Conrad currently attended mass at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Preston.
Conrad will be dearly missed by his daughter, Cindy Watkins of DeWitt, Iowa; two sons, Tom Grundmeyer of Littleton, Colorado, and Curt Grundmeyer of Sabula; one granddaughter, Kyle Keiran of DeWitt; three sisters, Rita Thole of Oelwein, Iowa, Dorothy Digmann of Dyersville, Iowa, and Mary Ann (David) Puff of Dubuque, Iowa; four brothers, Willis (Berniece) Grundmeyer of Lamont, Iowa, Val (JG) Grundmeyer of Chula Vista, California, Tony (Nancy) Grundmeyer of Waterloo, Iowa and Jim (Janice) Grundmeyer of Masonville, Iowa.
Conrad was preceded in death by his parents and his loving wife, Pat.
Death date: Sept. 25, 2012
January 6, 1933 - September 25, 2012
- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, died Thursday, at her home. Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory with Rev. Chris Minor-Heilig officiating. Burial will be in
- Robert Petersen Clinton Robert Petersen Robert Petersen, 84, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Leslie C. Chandler Clinton Leslie C. Chandler Leslie C. Chandler, 89, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes South Chapel.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday, Mercy Medical Center North. A funeral Mass will be 1 p.m. Saturday at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial visitation will be Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Clint
- Carl Junior Anderson Carl Junior Anderson Oct. 19, 2013 - Dec. 5, 2013 THOMSON, Ill. -- Carl Junior Anderson loved his country, veterans and collecting and shooting his guns. He died at age 73 in Thomson, Illinois, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at his home surrounded by hi
- Madonna Finch Clinton Madonna Finch Madonna Finch, 80, of Clinton, died Thursday, at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Nora Glazier LYNDON, Ill. -- Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Morrison Chapel of the
- Nora Glazier Lyndon, Ill. Nora Glazier Nora Glazier, 81, of Prophetstown, Ill. and formerly of Lyndon, died Tuesday, at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, Ill. Arrangements are pending with the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss April 22, 1938 - Dec. 4, 2013 CLINTON -- Geraldine "Gerry" M. Voss, 75, of Clinton, passed away on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton. A Funeral Mass will be 1:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec
- Carl Huffman MAQUOKETA -- Carl Huffman, 75, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday, at his home in Maquoketa. A celebration of Carl's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Fri
- More Obituaries Headlines