Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
Marianne (Mrs. Leon) McGarry, 75, of DeWitt, Iowa, died suddenly Monday evening, February 4, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 until 7 p.m. Thursday, February 7, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt, with a rosary at 2:30 p.m. and vigil at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, February 8, 2013, in the church. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at Saint Patrick’s Cemetery, Villa Nova, Iowa.
Marianne Elizabeth Wolfe was born on October 5, 1937, to John J. and Ida (Burke) Wolfe in Davenport, Iowa. She graduated from Lost Nation High School in 1955. In 1957, she graduated from Mount St. Clare, Clinton, with an associate’s degree in education. Marianne taught kindergarten in the DeWitt Community School District from 1957 to 1959. Marianne was united in marriage to Leon McGarry on September 12, 1959, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Lost Nation. Marianne and Leon raised 8 children on the farm northeast of DeWitt. She went on to graduate from Marycrest College in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in education. She later taught kindergarten for 12 years in the Clinton Catholic School System and retired in 1996.
Marianne was an active member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt. She spent much of her retirement volunteering at St. Joseph’s School and Parish, Mercy Hospital and Westwing Place in DeWitt. Marianne enjoyed attending Bible Study and activities at the DeWitt Fitness Center. She treasured her time with family, especially her grandchildren.
Those left to honor her memory include her loving husband of 53 years, Leon; children, Maureen McGarry (Roger Kinkor) of West Des Moines, Ann Marie (Greg) Decker of Kansas City, Missouri, Sheila (Joel) Dentlinger of Arcadia, Iowa, Lisa (Steve) Ash of West Des Moines, Leo (Jennifer) McGarry of DeWitt, Erin (Scott) Hardison of Davenport, and daughter-in-law, Wendy McGarry of Davenport; 20 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren; a brother, John J. (Pierette) Wolfe of Clinton; and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Marianne was preceded in death by her parents; an infant son, Leon Joseph; daughter, Coleen; and son, John “Jack.”
Those wishing to express their sympathy through a memorial may direct their gift to St. Joseph’s Catholic School, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 4, 2013
Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
- Martha A. Johnson Martha A. Johnson May 7, 1912 - March 13, 2014 CLINTON -- Martha A. Johnson, 101, of Clinton, passed away, Thursday, March 13, 2014 at the Alverno in Clinton. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, March 15, 2014 at the Zion Lutheran Church, Clin
- Henry Francis Arkenberg Henry Francis Arkenberg March 2, 1939 - March 12, 2014 BETTENDORF -- Henry Francis Arkenberg, 75, of Clinton died Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Monday, March 17t
- Gust G. 'Bobby' Moraetes EAST MOLINE, Ill. -- Gust G. "Bobby" Moraetes, 78, of East Moline, died Wednesday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services are at 11 a.m. Monday at Van Hoe Funeral Home in East Moline. Burial is in Rock Island National Cemetery. Visitatio
- Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens MAQUOKETA -- Michael D. "Mike" Stevens, 47, of Maquoketa, died Saturday at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. A celebration of his life will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Pearson Hall in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 3 to 7 p
- Kathleen M. Petras Kathleen M. Petras June 20, 1951 - March 10, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Kathleen M. Petras, 62, of Camanche, died at her home on March 10, 2014. A Celebration of life will be from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Sunday, March 16, 2014, at Lemke Funeral Homes South Chapel 26
- Helen Louise Kerr DeWitt Helen Louise Kerr Helen Louise Kerr, 77, of DeWitt, died at Clarrisa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Henry F. Arkenberg Clinton Henry F. Arkenberg Henry F. Arkenberg, 75, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Maquoketa Michael D. 'Mike' Stevens Michael D. "Mike" Stevens, 47, of Maquoketa died Saturday at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Kathleen M. Petras CAMANCHE -- Kathleen M. Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. A celebration of life will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday at Lemke Funeral Homes, south chapel. Death date: March 10, 2014 Kathleen M. Petras
- Geffrey E. Galloway Geffrey E. Galloway March 11, 1950 - March 6, 2014 MECHANICSVILLE -- Geffrey E. Galloway, 63, died March 6, 2014 in his Mechanicsville home. Visitation/open house for Geff will be from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Thursday, March 13 at Fry Funeral Home in Ti
- More Obituaries Headlines