Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
Marianne (Mrs. Leon) McGarry, 75, of DeWitt, Iowa, died suddenly Monday evening, February 4, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 until 7 p.m. Thursday, February 7, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt, with a rosary at 2:30 p.m. and vigil at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, February 8, 2013, in the church. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at Saint Patrick’s Cemetery, Villa Nova, Iowa.
Marianne Elizabeth Wolfe was born on October 5, 1937, to John J. and Ida (Burke) Wolfe in Davenport, Iowa. She graduated from Lost Nation High School in 1955. In 1957, she graduated from Mount St. Clare, Clinton, with an associate’s degree in education. Marianne taught kindergarten in the DeWitt Community School District from 1957 to 1959. Marianne was united in marriage to Leon McGarry on September 12, 1959, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Lost Nation. Marianne and Leon raised 8 children on the farm northeast of DeWitt. She went on to graduate from Marycrest College in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in education. She later taught kindergarten for 12 years in the Clinton Catholic School System and retired in 1996.
Marianne was an active member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt. She spent much of her retirement volunteering at St. Joseph’s School and Parish, Mercy Hospital and Westwing Place in DeWitt. Marianne enjoyed attending Bible Study and activities at the DeWitt Fitness Center. She treasured her time with family, especially her grandchildren.
Those left to honor her memory include her loving husband of 53 years, Leon; children, Maureen McGarry (Roger Kinkor) of West Des Moines, Ann Marie (Greg) Decker of Kansas City, Missouri, Sheila (Joel) Dentlinger of Arcadia, Iowa, Lisa (Steve) Ash of West Des Moines, Leo (Jennifer) McGarry of DeWitt, Erin (Scott) Hardison of Davenport, and daughter-in-law, Wendy McGarry of Davenport; 20 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren; a brother, John J. (Pierette) Wolfe of Clinton; and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Marianne was preceded in death by her parents; an infant son, Leon Joseph; daughter, Coleen; and son, John “Jack.”
Those wishing to express their sympathy through a memorial may direct their gift to St. Joseph’s Catholic School, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 4, 2013
Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- George A. Decker George A. Decker May 13, 1921 - Dec. 7, 2013 BETTENDORF -- Funeral services and a Mass of Christian Burial for George A. Decker, 92, a resident of Bettendorf, will be 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 1506
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- More Obituaries Headlines