Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
Marianne (Mrs. Leon) McGarry, 75, of DeWitt, Iowa, died suddenly Monday evening, February 4, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 until 7 p.m. Thursday, February 7, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt, with a rosary at 2:30 p.m. and vigil at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, February 8, 2013, in the church. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at Saint Patrick’s Cemetery, Villa Nova, Iowa.
Marianne Elizabeth Wolfe was born on October 5, 1937, to John J. and Ida (Burke) Wolfe in Davenport, Iowa. She graduated from Lost Nation High School in 1955. In 1957, she graduated from Mount St. Clare, Clinton, with an associate’s degree in education. Marianne taught kindergarten in the DeWitt Community School District from 1957 to 1959. Marianne was united in marriage to Leon McGarry on September 12, 1959, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Lost Nation. Marianne and Leon raised 8 children on the farm northeast of DeWitt. She went on to graduate from Marycrest College in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in education. She later taught kindergarten for 12 years in the Clinton Catholic School System and retired in 1996.
Marianne was an active member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt. She spent much of her retirement volunteering at St. Joseph’s School and Parish, Mercy Hospital and Westwing Place in DeWitt. Marianne enjoyed attending Bible Study and activities at the DeWitt Fitness Center. She treasured her time with family, especially her grandchildren.
Those left to honor her memory include her loving husband of 53 years, Leon; children, Maureen McGarry (Roger Kinkor) of West Des Moines, Ann Marie (Greg) Decker of Kansas City, Missouri, Sheila (Joel) Dentlinger of Arcadia, Iowa, Lisa (Steve) Ash of West Des Moines, Leo (Jennifer) McGarry of DeWitt, Erin (Scott) Hardison of Davenport, and daughter-in-law, Wendy McGarry of Davenport; 20 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren; a brother, John J. (Pierette) Wolfe of Clinton; and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Marianne was preceded in death by her parents; an infant son, Leon Joseph; daughter, Coleen; and son, John “Jack.”
Those wishing to express their sympathy through a memorial may direct their gift to St. Joseph’s Catholic School, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 4, 2013
Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines