Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
Marianne (Mrs. Leon) McGarry, 75, of DeWitt, Iowa, died suddenly Monday evening, February 4, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 until 7 p.m. Thursday, February 7, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt, with a rosary at 2:30 p.m. and vigil at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, February 8, 2013, in the church. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at Saint Patrick’s Cemetery, Villa Nova, Iowa.
Marianne Elizabeth Wolfe was born on October 5, 1937, to John J. and Ida (Burke) Wolfe in Davenport, Iowa. She graduated from Lost Nation High School in 1955. In 1957, she graduated from Mount St. Clare, Clinton, with an associate’s degree in education. Marianne taught kindergarten in the DeWitt Community School District from 1957 to 1959. Marianne was united in marriage to Leon McGarry on September 12, 1959, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Lost Nation. Marianne and Leon raised 8 children on the farm northeast of DeWitt. She went on to graduate from Marycrest College in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in education. She later taught kindergarten for 12 years in the Clinton Catholic School System and retired in 1996.
Marianne was an active member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt. She spent much of her retirement volunteering at St. Joseph’s School and Parish, Mercy Hospital and Westwing Place in DeWitt. Marianne enjoyed attending Bible Study and activities at the DeWitt Fitness Center. She treasured her time with family, especially her grandchildren.
Those left to honor her memory include her loving husband of 53 years, Leon; children, Maureen McGarry (Roger Kinkor) of West Des Moines, Ann Marie (Greg) Decker of Kansas City, Missouri, Sheila (Joel) Dentlinger of Arcadia, Iowa, Lisa (Steve) Ash of West Des Moines, Leo (Jennifer) McGarry of DeWitt, Erin (Scott) Hardison of Davenport, and daughter-in-law, Wendy McGarry of Davenport; 20 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren; a brother, John J. (Pierette) Wolfe of Clinton; and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Marianne was preceded in death by her parents; an infant son, Leon Joseph; daughter, Coleen; and son, John “Jack.”
Those wishing to express their sympathy through a memorial may direct their gift to St. Joseph’s Catholic School, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 4, 2013
Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines