July 2, 1924 - March 29, 2013
Dorys Marie Toups Saur passed away after a brief illness on March 29, 2013 in Sun City Center, Florida. She was born on July 2, 1924 in New Iberia, Louisiana.
Dorys was preceded in death by her parents, Jean Melcambre Toups and Myrtis Campbell Toups of Abbeville, Louisiana and her sisters Ruby Loehndorf and Myrtle Menard.
She is survived by her loving husband of 69 years, Eugene C. Saur of Sun City Center, her son Stephen C. Saur and his wife Pamela of Beaumont, Texas, her son Richard B. Saur and his wife Lynn Johnson of Dexter, Michigan, her grandson Henry Saur and his wife Elena of Friendswood, Texas, granddaughter Catherine
Allen and her husband Kenneth of Beaumont and three great-granddaughters, Carlee Saur, Clare Saur, and Tabitha Allen. Also surviving are her sister Mary Alice Toups and her brother William Toups.
Dorys Toups called Abbeville home, but over the years her family resided in various towns in Louisiana and eastern Texas where her father worked in the oil industry. After graduating from high school, she moved to Houston where she held several office jobs. There she met the love of her life, Lt. Gene Saur of Clinton, Iowa. They were married shortly before he was sent to Europe to serve in the Army Air Corp in World War II. Dorys moved in with his family in Clinton when they learned that Gene, a bombardier, had been shot down over Berlin. He spent nine months as a German prisoner of war.
Like many young couples of our “greatest generation,” Dorys and Gene emerged gratefully from the hardships and uncertainties of war to found a solid marriage and family and to take advantage of the opportunities available in relatively prosperous postwar America. Gene graduated from the University of Iowa and Dorys experienced university life by working for prominent professors in the speech and hearing and theater departments. After completing his business degree, Gene became an accountant and eventually advanced to Vice President of Blackhawk Foundry in Davenport, Iowa. In her new hometown, Dorys enjoyed the roles of wife, mother, cook and hostess. She was involved in her children’s schools and activities at Edwards Congregational Church. She loved to read, garden, play cards, and follow Hawkeye sports. A transplanted Southerner, she adjusted gracefully to Midwestern culture and weather.
Dorys and Gene moved back to a warm climate when he retired in 1987. They built a lovely home on a small lake in the retirement community of Sun City Center, Florida, where they resided for over 25 years. Many friends and relatives from Iowa and elsewhere visited, and the couple quickly made friends, became active in United Community Church, and took part in such community activities as crafts, swimming, parties, and even “Iowa Night” to meet other Hawkeyes.
Dorys was a warm and outgoing person who loved to laugh and converse with friends and new acquaintances. She enjoyed the company of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well. Henry and Cathy have particularly fond memories of vacations with Grandma Dorys and Grandpa Gene at Panama City Beach.
Dorys Toups Saur lived a long and productive life and touched many people with her enthusiasm and lively spirit. She is all the more remarkable because she had a rare form of adult muscular dystrophy which limited her mobility. Her early doctors did not expect her to live a fulfilling life of 88 years. In her memory, contributions may be made to the Muscular Dystrophy Association of America.
July 2, 1924 - March 29, 2013
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Patricia Ann Fairbanks