July 2, 1924 - March 29, 2013
Dorys Marie Toups Saur passed away after a brief illness on March 29, 2013 in Sun City Center, Florida. She was born on July 2, 1924 in New Iberia, Louisiana.
Dorys was preceded in death by her parents, Jean Melcambre Toups and Myrtis Campbell Toups of Abbeville, Louisiana and her sisters Ruby Loehndorf and Myrtle Menard.
She is survived by her loving husband of 69 years, Eugene C. Saur of Sun City Center, her son Stephen C. Saur and his wife Pamela of Beaumont, Texas, her son Richard B. Saur and his wife Lynn Johnson of Dexter, Michigan, her grandson Henry Saur and his wife Elena of Friendswood, Texas, granddaughter Catherine
Allen and her husband Kenneth of Beaumont and three great-granddaughters, Carlee Saur, Clare Saur, and Tabitha Allen. Also surviving are her sister Mary Alice Toups and her brother William Toups.
Dorys Toups called Abbeville home, but over the years her family resided in various towns in Louisiana and eastern Texas where her father worked in the oil industry. After graduating from high school, she moved to Houston where she held several office jobs. There she met the love of her life, Lt. Gene Saur of Clinton, Iowa. They were married shortly before he was sent to Europe to serve in the Army Air Corp in World War II. Dorys moved in with his family in Clinton when they learned that Gene, a bombardier, had been shot down over Berlin. He spent nine months as a German prisoner of war.
Like many young couples of our “greatest generation,” Dorys and Gene emerged gratefully from the hardships and uncertainties of war to found a solid marriage and family and to take advantage of the opportunities available in relatively prosperous postwar America. Gene graduated from the University of Iowa and Dorys experienced university life by working for prominent professors in the speech and hearing and theater departments. After completing his business degree, Gene became an accountant and eventually advanced to Vice President of Blackhawk Foundry in Davenport, Iowa. In her new hometown, Dorys enjoyed the roles of wife, mother, cook and hostess. She was involved in her children’s schools and activities at Edwards Congregational Church. She loved to read, garden, play cards, and follow Hawkeye sports. A transplanted Southerner, she adjusted gracefully to Midwestern culture and weather.
Dorys and Gene moved back to a warm climate when he retired in 1987. They built a lovely home on a small lake in the retirement community of Sun City Center, Florida, where they resided for over 25 years. Many friends and relatives from Iowa and elsewhere visited, and the couple quickly made friends, became active in United Community Church, and took part in such community activities as crafts, swimming, parties, and even “Iowa Night” to meet other Hawkeyes.
Dorys was a warm and outgoing person who loved to laugh and converse with friends and new acquaintances. She enjoyed the company of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well. Henry and Cathy have particularly fond memories of vacations with Grandma Dorys and Grandpa Gene at Panama City Beach.
Dorys Toups Saur lived a long and productive life and touched many people with her enthusiasm and lively spirit. She is all the more remarkable because she had a rare form of adult muscular dystrophy which limited her mobility. Her early doctors did not expect her to live a fulfilling life of 88 years. In her memory, contributions may be made to the Muscular Dystrophy Association of America.
July 2, 1924 - March 29, 2013
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines