July 2, 1924 - March 29, 2013
Dorys Marie Toups Saur passed away after a brief illness on March 29, 2013 in Sun City Center, Florida. She was born on July 2, 1924 in New Iberia, Louisiana.
Dorys was preceded in death by her parents, Jean Melcambre Toups and Myrtis Campbell Toups of Abbeville, Louisiana and her sisters Ruby Loehndorf and Myrtle Menard.
She is survived by her loving husband of 69 years, Eugene C. Saur of Sun City Center, her son Stephen C. Saur and his wife Pamela of Beaumont, Texas, her son Richard B. Saur and his wife Lynn Johnson of Dexter, Michigan, her grandson Henry Saur and his wife Elena of Friendswood, Texas, granddaughter Catherine
Allen and her husband Kenneth of Beaumont and three great-granddaughters, Carlee Saur, Clare Saur, and Tabitha Allen. Also surviving are her sister Mary Alice Toups and her brother William Toups.
Dorys Toups called Abbeville home, but over the years her family resided in various towns in Louisiana and eastern Texas where her father worked in the oil industry. After graduating from high school, she moved to Houston where she held several office jobs. There she met the love of her life, Lt. Gene Saur of Clinton, Iowa. They were married shortly before he was sent to Europe to serve in the Army Air Corp in World War II. Dorys moved in with his family in Clinton when they learned that Gene, a bombardier, had been shot down over Berlin. He spent nine months as a German prisoner of war.
Like many young couples of our “greatest generation,” Dorys and Gene emerged gratefully from the hardships and uncertainties of war to found a solid marriage and family and to take advantage of the opportunities available in relatively prosperous postwar America. Gene graduated from the University of Iowa and Dorys experienced university life by working for prominent professors in the speech and hearing and theater departments. After completing his business degree, Gene became an accountant and eventually advanced to Vice President of Blackhawk Foundry in Davenport, Iowa. In her new hometown, Dorys enjoyed the roles of wife, mother, cook and hostess. She was involved in her children’s schools and activities at Edwards Congregational Church. She loved to read, garden, play cards, and follow Hawkeye sports. A transplanted Southerner, she adjusted gracefully to Midwestern culture and weather.
Dorys and Gene moved back to a warm climate when he retired in 1987. They built a lovely home on a small lake in the retirement community of Sun City Center, Florida, where they resided for over 25 years. Many friends and relatives from Iowa and elsewhere visited, and the couple quickly made friends, became active in United Community Church, and took part in such community activities as crafts, swimming, parties, and even “Iowa Night” to meet other Hawkeyes.
Dorys was a warm and outgoing person who loved to laugh and converse with friends and new acquaintances. She enjoyed the company of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well. Henry and Cathy have particularly fond memories of vacations with Grandma Dorys and Grandpa Gene at Panama City Beach.
Dorys Toups Saur lived a long and productive life and touched many people with her enthusiasm and lively spirit. She is all the more remarkable because she had a rare form of adult muscular dystrophy which limited her mobility. Her early doctors did not expect her to live a fulfilling life of 88 years. In her memory, contributions may be made to the Muscular Dystrophy Association of America.
July 2, 1924 - March 29, 2013
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines