October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
Bonnie Ruth Milligan, age 94 passed away Sunday, November 11, 2012 at Skaalen Retirement Home.
Bonnie was born in Dunkirk Township on October 16, 1918, the daughter of the late Martin and Leda (Burull) Sperle. Bonnie and her sister, Elsie, lived on the farm her grandparents, Norwegian immigrants, settled. That farm was lost in the Great Depression, but the family continued to farm. Bonnie graduated from Stoughton High School in 1936. Bonnie attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where she met Robert Edgar Milligan, who was a law student. Bonnie and Robert married in Stoughton on June 13, 1942, in a double wedding ceremony shared with her sister Elsie and Elsie’s husband Everet. Bonnie left the university during WW II to follow her husband, now a naval officer, from coast to coast.
Bonnie ad Robert lived in Madison and Milwaukee after the war. They settled in Clinton, Iowa, where they raised three children. Bonnie’s many activities included thousands of rounds of golf, numerous league wins (the last at age 83) and two holes-in-one (the last when she was 77 years old). She loved Sanibel Island, Florida and vacationed there for over 30 years. Bonnie was proud of her Norwegian heritage. She toured Norway and met her “Norski” cousins. Bonnie was a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and a 50+ year member of P.E.O.
Bonnie is survived by her daughters Cmdr. Martha Milligan, ret. (husband Capt. Albert Johnson, ret.) of Virginia Beach, VA., Christine Milligan-Ciha (husband Allan Ciha) of Clive, IA and Stoughton, WI. and son John Milligan (wife Debi) of Washington, D.C., nephew Patrick Wall (Amy), nieces Lisa Livingston, Mary Susan Cable (John), Tess Nechkash (Jerry), Sheila Pokriefke (John), and many great nieces and nephews and cousins. Bonnie was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her sister, and niece Francesca.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, November 16, 2012 at Cress Funeral Home, 206 W. Prospect Ave, Stoughton, with the Rev. Dick Halom officiating. Friends may greet the family from 10 a.m. until the time of service. Burial will follow in Riverside Cemetery. Memorials may be sent to the Stoughton Historical Society.
Please share your memories at www.cressfuneralservice.com Cress Funeral & Cremation Service 206 W. Prospect Stoughton (608) 873-9244
October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines