October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
Bonnie Ruth Milligan, age 94 passed away Sunday, November 11, 2012 at Skaalen Retirement Home.
Bonnie was born in Dunkirk Township on October 16, 1918, the daughter of the late Martin and Leda (Burull) Sperle. Bonnie and her sister, Elsie, lived on the farm her grandparents, Norwegian immigrants, settled. That farm was lost in the Great Depression, but the family continued to farm. Bonnie graduated from Stoughton High School in 1936. Bonnie attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where she met Robert Edgar Milligan, who was a law student. Bonnie and Robert married in Stoughton on June 13, 1942, in a double wedding ceremony shared with her sister Elsie and Elsie’s husband Everet. Bonnie left the university during WW II to follow her husband, now a naval officer, from coast to coast.
Bonnie ad Robert lived in Madison and Milwaukee after the war. They settled in Clinton, Iowa, where they raised three children. Bonnie’s many activities included thousands of rounds of golf, numerous league wins (the last at age 83) and two holes-in-one (the last when she was 77 years old). She loved Sanibel Island, Florida and vacationed there for over 30 years. Bonnie was proud of her Norwegian heritage. She toured Norway and met her “Norski” cousins. Bonnie was a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and a 50+ year member of P.E.O.
Bonnie is survived by her daughters Cmdr. Martha Milligan, ret. (husband Capt. Albert Johnson, ret.) of Virginia Beach, VA., Christine Milligan-Ciha (husband Allan Ciha) of Clive, IA and Stoughton, WI. and son John Milligan (wife Debi) of Washington, D.C., nephew Patrick Wall (Amy), nieces Lisa Livingston, Mary Susan Cable (John), Tess Nechkash (Jerry), Sheila Pokriefke (John), and many great nieces and nephews and cousins. Bonnie was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her sister, and niece Francesca.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, November 16, 2012 at Cress Funeral Home, 206 W. Prospect Ave, Stoughton, with the Rev. Dick Halom officiating. Friends may greet the family from 10 a.m. until the time of service. Burial will follow in Riverside Cemetery. Memorials may be sent to the Stoughton Historical Society.
Please share your memories at www.cressfuneralservice.com Cress Funeral & Cremation Service 206 W. Prospect Stoughton (608) 873-9244
October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
- Nancy L. Dykstra Fulton, Ill. Nancy L. Dykstra Nancy L. Dykstra, 69, of Fulton, died Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center North in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris Mildred 'Millie' A. Norris June 16, 1922 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Mildred "Millie" A. Norris, 91, of Clinton, went home to be with The Lord, Monday, April 21, 2014 from Delmar Gardens of O'Fallon, Missouri. Visitation will be Friday, April 25, 201
- Glenn G. Meader Maquoketa Glenn G. Meader Glenn Meader, 65, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Rita R. Miller SAVANNA, Ill. -- Rita R. Miller, 84, of Savanna, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. A funeral Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Savanna with Father Dennis Atto as celeb
- Jane Butzbach Meyer Jane Butzbach Meyer June 4, 1929 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Jane Butzbach Meyer, age 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A celebration of life will be held Saturday, April 26th at 2:00 p.m. at the First Congregational Church i
- Frank J. Petkewicz CHADWICK, Ill. -- Frank J. Petkewicz, 75, of Chadwick, died Monday at Carroll County Good Samaritan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Mount Carroll, Ill. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Ss. John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mo
- Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Maquoketa Howard E. 'Sonny' Clark Howard E. "Sonny" Clark, 86, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at the Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines