October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
Bonnie Ruth Milligan, age 94 passed away Sunday, November 11, 2012 at Skaalen Retirement Home.
Bonnie was born in Dunkirk Township on October 16, 1918, the daughter of the late Martin and Leda (Burull) Sperle. Bonnie and her sister, Elsie, lived on the farm her grandparents, Norwegian immigrants, settled. That farm was lost in the Great Depression, but the family continued to farm. Bonnie graduated from Stoughton High School in 1936. Bonnie attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where she met Robert Edgar Milligan, who was a law student. Bonnie and Robert married in Stoughton on June 13, 1942, in a double wedding ceremony shared with her sister Elsie and Elsie’s husband Everet. Bonnie left the university during WW II to follow her husband, now a naval officer, from coast to coast.
Bonnie ad Robert lived in Madison and Milwaukee after the war. They settled in Clinton, Iowa, where they raised three children. Bonnie’s many activities included thousands of rounds of golf, numerous league wins (the last at age 83) and two holes-in-one (the last when she was 77 years old). She loved Sanibel Island, Florida and vacationed there for over 30 years. Bonnie was proud of her Norwegian heritage. She toured Norway and met her “Norski” cousins. Bonnie was a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and a 50+ year member of P.E.O.
Bonnie is survived by her daughters Cmdr. Martha Milligan, ret. (husband Capt. Albert Johnson, ret.) of Virginia Beach, VA., Christine Milligan-Ciha (husband Allan Ciha) of Clive, IA and Stoughton, WI. and son John Milligan (wife Debi) of Washington, D.C., nephew Patrick Wall (Amy), nieces Lisa Livingston, Mary Susan Cable (John), Tess Nechkash (Jerry), Sheila Pokriefke (John), and many great nieces and nephews and cousins. Bonnie was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her sister, and niece Francesca.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, November 16, 2012 at Cress Funeral Home, 206 W. Prospect Ave, Stoughton, with the Rev. Dick Halom officiating. Friends may greet the family from 10 a.m. until the time of service. Burial will follow in Riverside Cemetery. Memorials may be sent to the Stoughton Historical Society.
Please share your memories at www.cressfuneralservice.com Cress Funeral & Cremation Service 206 W. Prospect Stoughton (608) 873-9244
October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- Louis K. Ronnfeldt Louis K. Ronnfeldt Sept. 11, 1940 - Dec. 7, 2013 CAMANCHE -- Louis K. Ronnfeldt, age 73, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, December 7, 2013 at his home. In following his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A gathering of family and friends w
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- More Obituaries Headlines